Monday, October 22, 2012

Training in Earnest

    Today is the official start of my off season training. Yes, I still have two races pending. Both trail runs, an 8K and a 6 mile. I admit, I am excited to run them, and trying to get my race pace kicked up a few notches. I have made an agreement with myself that this year is when I dip my toes in the water, explore the opportunities, test my mettle. As I push myself a bit more with each event, go a little further, try a little harder, I find what I need to do to make myself better and better. Each event teaches me more about myself, gives me new ideas of how to hone my skills, increase my endurance, build my strength. Right now, I need to run better, faster, longer. Tonight, once again, I hit the treadmill. I am trying to work smarter and harder, and limit junk miles. I won't let myself plod along at a comfortable pace for an hour. Instead I want to push myself hard for 30 to 45 minutes. Tonight it was 5K. I started with half mile warmup then turned up the speed. I ran 1.5 miles alternating Fartlek speedplay at 6mph, 5.5mph incline, 5 mph resting run. Then half mile at 5mph, with a 6mph kick at the end to bring my 5K time in right at 30 minutes. Not fast by many standards, but fast for me. I am pleased that I can run 6mph for a decent leg without keeling over.
    Following the quick run I turned to leg/glute work. Lunge, kettleball swing, leg lift, jump squat, dead lift, one-legged squat, side step with band, split squat, prisoner squat. I pushed myself well tonight. Yes, I could have gone harder and further, but as I slip into my new, off-season routine I don't want to over-do it the first week or so and risk pulled muscles, especially my lower back. That being said, I still worked myself to trembling fatigue before finishing up with some good stretching. I am feeling good with my current fitness level, but I so want to get better, faster, stronger, healthier. I want to be able to finish a 10K in 50 minutes, a 5K in 25 minutes. Not record breaking times, but far better than what I am capable of today, right now.
    I have about 6 months before my race season starts anew, plenty of time to train myself up. I also have the Academy beginning in January. For that I want strength and stamina beyond what I have now, I want to feel capable of keeping apace with the other recruits that re less than half my age. I know I can. Now the training starts in earnest, for racing and firefighting, and for life. I am in training to be the best me I possibly can.

No comments:

Post a Comment