Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Food For Thought

    These last few years I have developed some specific dietary needs. Wheat and dairy intolerance being the key points. This has made random splurging far less accessible, fortunately. I have always been conscientious about what I stuff in my face. I am an avid label reader, pore over the latest nutritional information, pay heed to sports nutritionists, research proper fueling for athletes. I have done this for years. I have seen fads come and go: High protein, low carb; high protein NO carb; High fiber; Sugar free; Atkin's; South Beach; Paleo. For every extreme diet, there is ample information decrying the same. I have always believed that moderation is the key. Moderation, balance, common sense. Calories in must not exceed calories out. Plain and simple. But it is not so simple. When I consider what goes into my mouth I am ever more diligent to fuel myself with clean, wholesome, nutritious foods. I have cut almost all crap from my diet, indulging very rarely. I avoid fast food, prepackaged, deep fried, refined, high sugar. High fructose corn syrup is the Devil, and to be avoided at all costs. This little rule eliminates an amazing amount of food on the store shelves. I focus on real food: meat, vegetables, fruit, whole grains, legumes, raw nuts,  eggs. Sadly, this last year has seen the need to eliminate dairy from my diet, and this has been a tragedy. But I am learning to work around the handicap. The cleaner I eat, the cleaner I need to eat, and the cleaner I want to eat. My body actively rebels against inappropriate foods, which does help me stay on track even when faced with delicious temptation.
    My food on an average work day looks much like this:
    A cup of organic, black coffee with 1 teaspoon granulated, raw cane syrup, hastily slurped while I get ready for work. My jumbo thermos of coffee gets the same splash of sweet. On the drive to work I drink water, about a liter or more. Next, a handful of raw almonds and more coffee while I settle in at work and my digestion gets up and running. Breakfast is a small bowl of organic brown rice, hemp seed, oatmeal, flaxseed, pumpkin seed granola with half cup of almond milk and a little whey protein (yes, the whey causes a little gastrointestinal distress, but I suffer, I need the protein), and a banana. Mid morning snack of more almonds and another banana. Lunch is 2 or 3 eggs either boiled or scrambled, a serving of fruit or vegetable (I was loving my heirloom tomatoes), a few more almonds, and coffee. Mid afternoon snack of more almonds or another small bowl of granola,and another banana (yeah, I eat a lot of g'damned bananas). I may have half a protein bar, or not. Once home, I grab a quick, pre-workout snack, often more fruit and nuts, or a small bowl of granola. Dinner is my big meal of the day. Yes, I know they say that it should not be, whoever the hell "they" are. But it works for me. Dinner is post-workout, high protein and usually something like a chicken breast taco with fresh guacamole on a corn/flour tortilla, vegetables, and a smoothie. I may have a small handful of organic, dark chocolate chips for a sweet treat. As we head into winter and my supply of homegrown fresh fruits and veggies dwindles I will be eating more yams as a main course for dinner. Yams, chicken breast, and a smoothie is a personal fave dinner.
    I talk about smoothies all the time. I love my 25 year old Osterizer Galaxy blender. It has ample power to blend most combinations that I force upon it. My smoothies usually start with an unsweetened juice base: Organic Tart Cherry, Black Cherry, Cranberry, and/or Pomegranate. I chose the organic, 100% single juice styles so I know exactly what I am getting. Even in the juices labeled 100% juice, it is often apple, pear, grape, and only a fraction of the juice you are hoping for, like Tart Cherry. I love using 100% cherry juice, either tart and/or black, because of it's anti-inflammatory qualities, it has a similar effect as most NSAIDs like ibuprofin. Add to the juice a half a blender of greens: spinach, beet greens, lettuces, Swiss chard, kale and blend until pureed. Then add a banana (told you, I eat a lot of g'damned bananas), frozen fruit of your choice (my current favorites are mango, and berry), and a scoop of vanilla whey protein, blend until smooth. Simple as that. A large serving of fruits, vegetables and protein in a palatable, delicious melange. I do a smoothie almost daily, it truly is my Go-To post-workout rocket fuel. They are also my favorite addition to my pre-race dinner, since they are nutritious, easy to digest, and not so high in fiber that I am weighed down on race day. An advantage of a smoothie is that it can be easily tailored to personal tastes and requirements. Most fruits and veggies are nutrient dense (a lot of bang for your buck) and anti-oxidant. As mentioned before, Cherries are anti-inflammatory, as well as anti-cancer, anti-oxidant, good for joints, skin, digestive tract. Berries are a fantastic anti-cancer and anti-inflammatory addition. Bananas have potassium and are a great restorative after a hard workout. Kale, spinach, Swiss chard, and leafy lettuces are high in C, A, anti-oxidants and trace minerals. Peaches are a great low-glycemic addition. The combinations are endless, and delicious.
    As you can see, I put a decent amount of research into what I eat. I want quality rocket fuel in my system, not crude oil. I put a lot of thought into meals, but a fairly limited amount of time in prep by sticking to the basics, and keeping my meals simple. I have been tempted to compile a recipe book, but the stores are glutted with such missives. So I just do my own thing, pass on info as seems appropriate, and enjoy the benefits.

No comments:

Post a Comment