Sunday, October 21, 2012

Family Weekend, Gourmet Food, and Workouts Despite It All

    Okay, so it was an indulgent weekend. Too much delicious food, not enough sleep, brothers galore, and way too much delicious food. Way. Too. Much. I decided to allow myself 24 hours of absolute freedom for my little brother's wedding weekend. What happens when a chef and cheesemaker weds a baker? Delicious, rich, wonderful food in copious quantities. Copious. And so very worth it. My contribution was a dish of roasted autumn vegetables; yams, sweet potatoes, winter squash, pumpkin, carrots, beets, sweet onion and tossed with a little olive oil and brown sugar. It gave me a solid, healthy foundation for decadence later.
    After over indulging, eating more sugar than I think I have all year, subjecting my digestive tract to dairy and wheat, and generally allowing my appetite free rein, I slipped on the Merrills and took off on a hike/run with my son. Nice steep hills up through the Ponderosas, for about 3 miles or so. The altitude made the air just a little thin, which made me suck wind more than usual, but it was a delicious diversion. There is nothing quite like the clean, crisp air of a high desert pine forest. It felt good to run, stretch my legs, sweat, get my blood flowing.
    Today, I thought that a nap would be first and foremost on my agenda as soon as I returned home. The best laid plans, of course. Instead, I got my umpteenth wind and was feeling pretty damned good. Decided I needed a workout more than I needed a nap. The house was cold with the chill of full-blown autumn, so I slipped into my cold weather gear and got to it. Yeah sure, I was moving a little slower than usual, but did four sets of my basic upper body/core workout. I added a few extra exercises to mix it up a little, and worked my muscles nicely. I topped it off with a dinner of leftover roasted autumn veggies and a pomegranate, banana, mango, berry smoothie.
    So even with a long, family reunion weekend, too much delicious food, and a long car drive on each end of it, I managed to get in a decent workout both days. This coming week I am hoping to dive into my winter workout regiment, though my gym area isn't ready yet, that has never stopped me. Onward and upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment