Friday, October 5, 2012

My New Treasure

    Mentally getting my game face on for the race sunday. I can't help but wish that I had been able to fit in a few workouts this week, just because I feel out of synch when I don't workout. I did do abs and Yoga monday, and got to swim tuesday, but that it is since my race last saturday. And now, it is 39 hours until my start time. I will be dressed, ready and eager. I have found that my pre-race nerves have settled down quite a bit since my first, nerve wracking Triathlon. My excitement for trail races has only increased since my first, true run a week ago. The bruises on my feet have healed, residual muscle soreness is gone, excitement for my next challenge is building. I confess to having splurged this week, a shamelessly naughty expenditure, a gleefully debauched indulgence. What lascivious, brazen purchase? What titillating treasure? My first pair of Merrill Trail Gloves. The shoe company with the reputation for deliciously cradling feet like the hands of an adept and gentle lover. After the beating my poor feet took on the jagged bedrock at Multnomah Falls, I knew my beloved ZemTeks would have to be reserved for road and easy trails, not for rugged terrain. But the crux is, I loved the roughness, the wildness, the untamed feeling of running on trails not suited for the meek or delicate. I reveled in my ability to ignore the pain as I danced across sharp outcroppings. But Brain was ever diligent, and warned me to not break myself in my zeal. The reality of a broken metatarsal would have put an end to my season then and there.
    So, with common sense nipping at my heels, I decided that I would have to invest in a better shoe, one suited to such hazardous conditions. I did my homework. I knew what I wanted: a minimalist shoe that would allow my foot the near freedom of a barefoot run, but with enough protection that I could, indeed, Run. Two choices came up the clear winners: VivoBarefoot Breatho Trail Running Shoe, and the Merrill Trail Glove. Both very similar in style, reputation, and qualities. I was leaning a bit towards the VivoBarefoot shoe largely because of the price, about $20 less than the Merrills. I know I should have shopped around, but I was eager, and wanted shoes NOW. On a whim, I swung through my local REI, an outdoor equipment store that I have been haunting more and more of late. I strolled to the women's shoe section. They had both brands, but neither trail shoe. I was disappointed. I briefly contemplated the Merrill Street Glove, but knew it was not up to the beating I wanted to give it. A Scandinavian looking young woman asked if she could help. I expressed my needs, desires, and disappointment at being denied. She commiserated with appropriate sympathy, and mentioned, "We do have the Trail Glove in men's but not women's." Whaa..?! I prefer men's shoes, they fit me better, as a general rule. I had her bring me out a pair. The first were a tad too small. I bumped up half a size and slipped my foot into the loving embrace of what I knew was the beginning of a love affair of adventurous proportions. The firm, yet gentle way they cupped my heels, yet allowed my toes plenty of room to play. And, the selling point, the very sexy sounding, "Rock Plate." Doesn't that roll off the tongue with a savory flavor? "Rock Plate."  *swoon*   I was sunk. I knew these shoes must be mine. Clutching the box to my chest I went directly to the counter, as if fearful I would be stopped and my new love torn from my embrace. Once lawfully mine, I nearly ran to the car, eager to return my feet to that loving embrace.
    True, the acid test comes in 39 hours. My first trail run in the sexy, new shoes. A trail and obstacle run, so both my feet and my body will be put to the test. And along with me will be the wondrous, new shoes. I feel like the little dancer in The Red Shoes, I want to run and run and run, better, faster and more beautifully than before. Run until I drop. And hopefully, the new shoes will take me everywhere I want to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment