Monday, October 29, 2012

Balance?

    I have realized that it is difficult to find the right balance in my nutrition. I hit my ideal weight, and do not want to drop below that point. But in order to maintain, with my higher intensity workouts, I am actually having to eat more. This leads to me dropping my guard, and eating with a bit more abandon. I have found myself slipping into the mindset that since I do workout hard, I can kinda eat what I want. This is patently Untrue! I fell into this mindset over the years, when my weight stayed fairly stable, but 60 pounds higher than what it is now. Back in the days when I felt like it was okay to be more "full-figured" since I was healthy, strong, and active. Well, I am still healthy, strong and active, but a helluva lot slimmer. And I want to keep it that way. Besides, the consumption of forbidden delicacies have been wreaking painful havoc on my gastrointestinal tract. So, I am chastising myself a bit for a cavalier attitude towards food that has befallen me the last few weeks. Sure, I don't like to be obsessive, compulsive, neurotic and difficult with my eating, but I think I must be. I need to get back to the "all or nothing" mentality that has served me well the last 9 months. I was doing great towards the end of my racing season, upping my caloric intake carefully, and maintaining my fighting weight. But the last few weeks have had several celebrations that allowed me to step away from my "normal" foods, and indulge in delicious decadence just a bit. Oh sure, I was careful, but it is so easy to take the first couple of steps down that pathway, and before you know it you are a mile into the jungle, lost, and eating anything that comes into hand.
    Yes, I do think about this frequently. Maybe I spend far too much time analyzing it, overthinking as usual. But it is a topic that cannot be ignored. Garbage In, Garbage Out. I won't let that happen. I need Rocket Fuel. Pure, unadulterated, healthy Fuel for the machine that is Body. So I look back on my few days of decadence, and I do know that there will be the occasional decadent day in my future, but I need to make them few and far between. I will NOT allow myself to get lost in the jungle.

No comments:

Post a Comment