Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Stroke. Stroke. Breathe.

    Back in the water. It was swim night, and I have been missing the arduous tedium of lap swimming. I know most people would find it boring, repetitious, tedious  I enjoy the chance to feel my body at work, away from the distractions of daily life, head under water, the main sound that of my own limbs stroking through the water. I let my brain split into the two halves: one side keeping track of my technique, strokes, laps; the other side wandering aimlessly though the wilds of my mind. It makes for a peaceful, soothing evening. it doesn't hurt that I am also working my entire body into famished exhaustion. By the time I climb out of the pool I am pruney, shaky, a bit queasy, fatigued, and glowing. No shower can completely obliterate the fragrance of chlorine, my skin is permeated. Swimming makes me happy. It makes me feel long, strong and sleek. I want to develop my skills so I feel like an otter sliding through the water. I want to feel as if the water is my second home, that I am a Selkie returned to the sea.
    Tonight I started strong. My technique felt good as I rolled side to side, letting body movement power my arms. Stroke. Stroke. Breathe. I did feel some muscle fatigue fairly quickly, I know it was from the last few strength training sessions. I did push my shoulders kinda hard on sunday. But I did not let myself have time to feel wimpy. I fell into a familiar routine: 2 laps with pull buoy, 2 laps with pull buoy and hand paddles, 1 lap backstroke. I decided to add a little difficulty. Halfway through each backstroke lap, I stopped in the deep-end to do 20 pull-ups on the dive platform. These are easy, the water giving me enough buoyancy that it is like an assisted pull-up machine at the gym. To make things even a bit tougher, I did one lap in each series of five with pull buoy and as a Fartlek speed-play lap, swimming hard and fast, trying to keep my strokes long, but quick. It is not easy. And is tiring.
    I am fascinated with technique. I know mine kinda sucks at this point, but I am working on it. I do not expect vast leaps of improvement, I am a tortoise, slow and steady. Slowly adding technique, speed, endurance. I am taking this approach to all three Triathlon disciplines, particularly the swim and run. The thing I love about swimming with hand paddles and pull buoy is that the hand paddles encourage good technique in position and stroke, as well as make swimming feel a bit more like my beloved strength training. Arching my arm through the upward stroke, my hand piercing the water smoothly, barely a ripple. Hand darting ahead, long and strong, arm held clean and straight. Hand grabs the water, pulling my body through. My torso rocks rhythmically with each stroke, I am a pendulum in the water. Side to side, rocking gently, arms finding their pace, breathing easy and sure. I am feeling more natural with almost every swim. A little faster, a little stronger, a bit more endurance.
    I was drained and starving by the time I was showered, glad I always bring a banana for a quick boost. Once home I craved protein. I made a tuna, spinach and avocado salad, wrapped in a toasted corn tortilla. For the sheer deliciousness of it I made a tart cherry juice, banana, mango, whey smoothie. I feel re-energized, but sleepy all the same.  
    Tonight, I am tired. I shall sleep well. Muscles fatigued, belly full of healthy food, mind cleared from the debris of the day. I wish I had more time in my evenings to be able to make a concerted effort to attack something more tangible than just my workouts, but I know that I must prioritize my physical health if I want to keep my emotional and mental health on track. It is a precarious balance, especially heading into winter. So my body does take precedence at times like these. Lucky body.

No comments:

Post a Comment