Thursday, October 18, 2012

Time Crunch, As Usual

    In many ways I like being time crunched. There is a saying, "if you want something done, ask a busy person." I know that when I feel I have all the time in the world I am apt to procrastinate, dawdle, move slowly, take my time. When I am crunched for time, when there are not even minutes to be wasted, I get a shit ton of stuff done. Case in point: last night's workout. I knew I would have to be ready and out the door for Drill Night by 6:45 at the very latest, so there was not a minute to waste. Not a minute. Yes, I managed to get in a few sets of leg work while still at my job, but it was interrupted frequently, and not satisfying. So as soon as the clock hands pointed to get-the-hell-out time, I was shutting down, setting alarms and locking up. Traffic finally graced me with luck and even with a stop for gas I was home in record time.
    I am wanting to stick to my vow to run two to three times a week, even if it is a short run. So last night I hopped on the treadmill to warm up my body for the punishment I was about to bestow upon it. I ran a quick mile, at race pace. That is all, just a mile, but at 1.5mph faster than I could manage a few months ago. Yes, I am still a penguin, but it felt fast to me. Hopping off the treadmill I launched immediately into my leg/glute workout. I love strength training, truly. Love. I wish I had some weight lifting equipment, except that then I know I would be inclined to get into a rut.
    My basic Leg/Glute Workout, 10 to 15 reps each, minimum 3 sets: Wide stance squat with toes angled out to take pressure off of my knees; basic lunge; prisoner squat (no weight, hands behind head); jump squat, landing lightly; single legged squat with rear foot elevated onto chair; lunge with front foot on 16" bench; swinging squat with kettlebell; standing front leg raise; side leg raise; side step with band. I work my way through the series fairly quickly, not allowing any real rests. I don't do this with the speed of my Down and Dirty Thirty (a lot of the same exercises, as many sets as I can do in 30 minutes), but by slowing it down a little my muscles have to actually work harder. This routine will bring me to sweaty, trembling exhaustion, and I love that.
    After finishing up with my legs and glutes, I eyeballed the clock. there was still time to get in some hard ab work. I opted to go with weighted sit-ups, holding 2ea 5# dumbells, arms straight and up towards the ceiling during the entire sit-up. Then side crunches with weight held behind the head. Straight and twisting crunches with legs straight and pointed towards the ceiling. Bridge with leg lift. Scissor kick.
    Once my abs were burning and I was queasy, I hopped back on the treadmill for a fast half mile. I finished up with some good stretches. I followed all this with a spinach, tart cherry, mango, banana, berry, whey smoothie and half a protein bar. All consumed while I was cleaning up and changing into dry clothes for Drill. I was out the door with only a few moments to spare. Today I am feeling the zeal of my workout, and it feels great.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment