Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Squeezing In Time

    This week is posing a few challenges when it comes to fitting in my workouts. Monday I ran, as I mentioned earlier, and it was a good run, if a bit unorthodox. Tuesday I had to pass on my swim, and got home about 8:30, which some might deem a bit late to start a workout. I pooh-pooh such naysayers. Last night, instead of digging into the dishes piling up in the sink, I opted for a quick, hard, upper body workout. I haven't done as much actual strength training the last month or two, focusing more on specific training, especially run and swim. I have put in a lot of miles in the pool this summer, and have done some seriously ass kicking swims. This has kept my arms, chest, shoulders, back and core in damn fine shape, but it is time to get back to some straight up strength training.
    Since I have used swimming as my Go To upper body workout, I knew I could slip into my old workout routine and it would be almost like new. I wasn't wrong. I ran through my regular, old dozen: Upright single-arm press with twist, french curl, fly, single arm row with twist, press, row, upright row, bent over row, standing fly, dip, medicine ball toss, kettleball dip. I did three sets of each, with one set to failure. It felt good to revisit my old friends, let their tender ministrations warm my muscles to fatigue. I would have liked to go longer, but knew it would interfere with my sleep.
    Today I will work core and legs as much as possible, it is drill at the Fire Station so my time is limited, but workout gear lies in wait in the car. Tomorrow, I will once again have to skip my swim as I prepare for a weekend out of town, but I will do my best to get in a punishing upper body and core workout. It is hard squeeze time out of a busy life, but I know the consequences of letting myself slip, I will not let myself backslide.
    In the next few weeks I will finish my gym area in readiness for the long days of winter. Yesterday I splurged and got myself a kettleball and a chin-up bar, and was as giddy as a schoolgirl on prom night. I will build myself a sturdy bench, and possibly a jump box as well. I priced out PVC for my slosh tubes, that will have to wait until next payday, having shot my wad at the sporting goods store yesterday. Another item that brought a glint to my eye at the store was the heavy foam, interlocking, floor pads; $20 for 4ea 24"x24" pieces. I want. And dumbell bars for my weight plates, also on the Must Have list. Slowly, surely, building my gear. Piece by piece. As cheap as I can get away with.

No comments:

Post a Comment