Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Hump Month

    I am excited about the direction I will be taking my workouts very soon, but it is coming into the time of year when the only thing that keeps me on track is my OCD commitment to routine and regiment. Autumn, that dangerous season when all I really want to do is eat carbs and sleep. I become highly susceptible to the lure of Mellowcreme Pumpkins and the ever glorious Mellowcreme Harvest Mix. Brain feels fogged with fatigue as it tries to convince me that napping is far more beneficial than exercise, and sleep is just in my best interests. October is always "Hump Month" for me, that time when my competitions are done or winding down, I am tired, the days are getting shorter and colder, cocooning sounds fantastic, and my bed is a seductive temptation at almost any given time. Workouts have to be planned and executed, without allowing Brain to sweet talk me out of my gear and into fuzzy jammies.
    To keep myself facing the future, moving forward and not only maintaining my momentum, but kicking it into high gear, I am obsessively researching, reading, planning, scheming, and devising new self torture. The garage is coming along apace, I have cleared out and painted about a third of my space, and could easily have a workout corner whipped into shape with just a day or two of focused energy. I am envisioning my space: walls in splendidly vivid purples; motivational posters with sweaty bodies and gleefully sadistic slogans; new toys of torture racked and stacked; appropriate furnishings; boombox. I can see it in my mind, a carrot on a stick, my grail, a present to me from me. I want to be able to have a good space to push my body beyond anything I may have imagined in any of my previous incarnations.
    I am planning and creating workout programs incorporating plyometrics, CrossFit, Peter Kemme's ingenious exercises, weights, and cardio, cardio, cardio. I will come out of this winter stronger, faster, leaner and better equipped for next season.
    But first I have to quell the desire to sleep, eat, sleep and eat.  

No comments:

Post a Comment