Friday, October 26, 2012

Trail Run

    Finally wised up and packed my running gear to work with me today, since fridays I get off early enough to get in a trail run in daylight. I hit a trail that is a familiar old friend, an easy trail along the Willamette that I used to hike with my dogs several times a week. Since I have moved it is too far away for daily dog hikes, but it is easy to swing by after work. The weather was cooperating greatly, cool and breezy, but dry and not bitterly cold. I made sure to strap on my super-power knee brace in case of clumsiness. I trotted across the wet, mossy parking lot careful of my footing. once I hit the trail I quickened my stride. It felt good to run in the woods. My breathing felt great, my legs felt good. Have I mentioned that I love my Merrill Trail Glove shoes? L.O.V.E. Love. The are comfortable and cradle my foot, making me feel like my footing is stable. I have very weak ankles, and have sprained them badly more times than I can count. The ligaments are so stretched out that the slightest misstep will drop me with agonizing efficiency. But the Merrills keep me in close contact with the ground, letting me react to my footing. I feel like I am dancing across the terrain, lightly, nimbly, happily. I ran down the familiar trail, letting myself move along at race pace, feeling my heart and lungs responding. There is not a lot of elevation on this trail it is fairly level, but it does have a few gentle hills that I powered up and down without changing my tempo. Near the end, there are steep embankments to climb, leading to a smooth, grassy area. Here I sprinted, I kicked up my heels and ran with glee for the 50 or so yards before I had to slow as the trail led downslope across slick rocks. That signaled the end of the trail, I turned back, and sprinted across the meadow, back into the woods and along the river. Before I knew it I was back to the parking lot, all too soon. So, without hesitation, I turned around and did it again. I was glad of the knee brace when I caught my toe on a sapling and twisted my leg, nearly going down. Without the brace I am sure my knee wold have been incredibly unhappy with me. It was my fault, I was looking too far ahead at the log I would be jumping in a moment, and not watching where my feet were going. Funny thing, I used to trip over this very same sapling on a regular basis when I walked my dogs down this path. I finished my run feeling good, I did slow for a few steps at one point, but goaded myself on. It was a good run, about 3-1/2 miles or so, and done in decent time. No, I am not sure exactly how far, or how long I ran. Being me, I forgot to bring my watch so have no idea how long I did run. But it felt good. I felt great. I am learning to really like running.

No comments:

Post a Comment