Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Long and Strong

    Winter Workout Regiment has been implemented and active for a week now. Today I am pleasantly sore from head to toe, so it must be working. After monday's Cycle and Run, and Leg Workout I felt fantastic. My legs felt great, my stamina was decent, and my breathing was good. Last night was Swim Night, and I did a repeat of last thursday: swim 20 laps, 20 minutes "cycle" and "run" with float belt, swim 20 laps, 20 minutes with the float belt, swim 10 laps. True, I did fewer laps, but I ran out of time. The last 10 laps were hard, I won't lie, I didn't want to do them. But I tell myself that it is the last few laps, whether swimming or running, that I am almost too tired to complete, that are the laps that really matter when building strength and stamina. It is really no different than lifting weights "to failure." I felt good during my swim and find that I can push myself harder and longer. I was amused to realize that I was almost overheating, I was pushing myself that well. Funny to feel "hot and sweaty" in a cool pool. I think I was doing something right.
    After my swim I came home and broke out the mini Slosh Tubes for 30 minutes of ab and core work. 3 sets, 20 reps each: standing with 5' across shoulders, bending at waist and rotating tube in figure 8; standing, 24" tube in each hand, moving arms  in large figure 8 from side to side;  full sit-up with 5' tube held straight armed and up towards the ceiling; twisting crunch with 5' tube held against chest and rotated in a figure 8; twisting crunch with 24" tubes, touching tube to the floor on either side. I gotta say, after a hard swim it is not easy to get in an ab/core workout. It was fatiguing.
    During each swim I am trying to focus on one small aspect of my technique. Of course, every swim I work on good stroke technique; long, strong and good speed. Last night I also worked on hand positioning throughout the entire stroke, including where and how my hand enters the water. I need to keep my hands relaxed, fingers slightly separated, hand cupped, and "grabbing and holding" the water to pull myself through. Sometimes I get so focused on technique that I almost forget to breathe.
    I am also incorporating Fartlek/Speedplay in some of my laps. To swim faster I know I need to move my arms faster, but I also have to lengthen my stroke. I am trying to find the perfect balance of long, easy stroke, and quick, powerful stroke. For endurance swimming I need to find my Race Pace; a steady, long, strong stroke. I need to use the rotation of my torso in the water, as well as my core muscles to lend power and perpetual motion to my swim. There is so much to be cognizant of for a successful endurance swim that it is nearly mind-boggling. For now, I am focusing on my arms and body, using a pull buoy so that it takes my legs entirely out of the equation. I am trying to build muscle memory as well as strength, power and endurance. I am succeeding, slowly but surely. By next season's first Tri I should be able to kick ass on my previous times. Now to get over the whole Creature-lurking-in-the-murk-waiting-to-drag-me-into-the-weeds-and-suck-the-flesh-from-my-bones Phobia. But one thing at a time. For now, Swim Long and Strong.

No comments:

Post a Comment