Monday, October 8, 2012

New Shoe Debut

    The sexy new Merrill Trail Gloves got their trial by fire yesterday, or more aptly, trial by mud, water, rock, dust and obstacles. Six miles of steep terrain, several creek crossings, two water/mud pits, and various climbing escapades. There was soft dust, loose clay, rock, gravel, ruts, grass, wet rocks, uneven footing, cargo nets, wooden walls and towers, a tire wall, and ropes. I wouldn't hesitate to say that I really put these shoes through their paces in their debut performance. How did they hold up? Did they pass muster? Pass or Fail? I give the Merrill Trail Glove a glowing A+. They cradled my foot comfortably, left no marks, no blisters, no bruising, not even a rub spot. The shoe fits snugly in the heel and arch, but gives plenty of toe space, so my feet felt almost naked yet protected by a force field. The "rock plate" was enough to protect the ball of my foot from the bruising my ZemTeks allowed, but was still pliable enough that I could feel the surface I was traversing. The traction far surpassed my hopes and expectations and out-performed just about every other shoe we came across. I found myself giving a sales pitch to a couple in their Vibram Five Fingers, who were complaining about traction and the rough surfaces. They were even great for water crossings, giving good traction and stability on slimy rocks, as well as shedding water quickly so my feet were not water-logged.
    I have come face to face with the realities of having the proper shoe for various excursions. The ZemTek Terras are great for smooth surfaces and road races that the Merrill Trail Glove would be too rough for, given its deeper tread. But the Merrills are hands down a great trail running shoe, cladding the foot in a protective, stable yet minimalist and highly comfortable shoe that gives your foot all the tools it needs to to maneuver the road less traveled. I am excited to take them out on a straight up trail run, I think Silvercreek Falls Trail is in my near future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment