Thursday, October 4, 2012

Gym Toys

    Is it wrong that I am getting very excited to begin my new training regiment? With my racing season dwindling, I feel I can start training in earnest for what is on the horizon. Yes, I have been training hard all year, but the first half was without real focus. The second half was full of events that required I take it easy for a few days before and after, which seemed to put huge holes in my schedule. With my last rigorous, full body race just a few days away, I know my training can bump up a notch soon after. And this has me ridiculously excited. Ironically, the beautiful Autumn weather has been interfering with my plans to get my gym space set up at home. I am waiting for the weather to go to shit, and we all know it will soon enough, so I can devote a weekend to tearing up the garage, painting, organizing. My awesome neighbor has given me permission to install a climbing rope in their garage. After all, don't we all fantasize about having a climbing rope? I want to hit the local tire shop to see about getting a nice, big tractor tire to beat on with a sledge hammer. Well, when written out, that sounds totally loonie, but it makes sense for core strength, and for my impending firefighter academy.

Tools of the Trade:
Slosh Tubes; 4" x 6' and 3" x 4'
Macebelle
Indian Clubs
Kettlebells
Weight Vest
Heavy Bag
Speed Bag
Weight/Step Bench
Free Weights
Treadmill
Bike on Rollers
Tire
Climbing Rope

    This is my basic list, much of which I already have, or can make with very little financial investment. There are a few fantasy items such as a climbing wall, and my long-held-dear wish of a home obstacle course. I know there has been an explosion of interest in the obstacle races over the last few years, but my interest goes back many years. The inspiration is the opening scene from "Silence of The Lambs," with a lithe Clarisse Starling running through the FBI obstacle course at Quantico. I have been enraptured with the idea of having my very own course, or at least easy access to one. It is not the brutal, potentially humiliating course seemingly favored by the hardcore OCRs, but based on a military PT course. I want one. I have wanted one for a decade. I probably won't get one, ever, but a girl can dream.

    

No comments:

Post a Comment