Sunday, September 2, 2012

Wetsuit Test Drive, Number One

    Wetsuit test drive was a success. I took the new wetsuit out to The Cove at Clackamette Park, a spot I have been meaning to visit for the last month. I have managed to talk myself out of open water swims this last month or so, and frankly, I am glad I waited until I had the warmth and buoyancy of a wetsuit. The water was cold, and green, with enough murk to hide potential homicidal, flesh eating creatures just out of arm's reach. There were only a half dozen people hanging out along the shore, and it is a decent sized body of water. One solitary swimmer, slogging through the water, I imagine he was a fellow triathlete, since I know this is the preferred training spot to practice open water swims. So in effect, I just about had the place to myself. Nothing like a lone swimmer to attract lurking water monsters. Interesting point about this spot, it has swim buoys marking a half mile course in the water, perfect for training.
    I climbed down the hill to a rocky stretch of shoreline, surveyed the water, trying to feel enthusiastic and calm, instead of slightly nervous. Actually, I felt pretty good about going into the water. I felt as if my wetsuit would wrap me in the same comforting, protective feel as my motorcycle leathers do. It would ward off the Lake Monsters. Wading in, water cold on my legs, but the wetsuit was warm, protective, comforting. I pushed off into deeper water, and miraculously, floated like a cork. I was delighted. I easily stroked my way out into ever deeper water, further from the safety of the shore. I used arms only, letting my legs stay streamlined behind me, propelling myself easily through the water. I kept my face clear of the water, which was surprisingly easy with the suit keeping my torso on top of the water. Now for the test: Face in the water. Oh my god, I still hate it. It still makes me have difficulty breathing. Was it the cold? The murk? The potential gross bacteria? All of the above? Regardless, I still hate it. I went back to the easy stroking, face above water. Not as fast, not as efficient, but not panic inducing either.
    As I continued out, further from shore, further from my entry point, I experimented with a few strokes. I added a scissor kick, which seemed to really push me through the water. I alternated between arms only and adding a kick, feeling the difference. I roll over onto my back, backstroke being the most natural, perpetual motion stroke for me. It felt glorious, until I caught sight of something flittering in the water, just behind my right ear, which nearly propelled me straight out of the water. It was one of my own braids, not a tentacle. I felt sheepish, and glad no one had witnessed my momentary freak-out. I rolled over onto my chest, breast stroking for a moment, reminding myself that there was absolutely nothing in the water that was going to eat me alive, and that during a Tri swim, it is a target rich environment for any lake creatures, so it greatly reduces the odds of my own demise by consumption.
    I only swam about a quarter mile, I was not out there to practice distance, or increase stamina. This close to race day my stamina will not get any better by a few more swims. This was all about testing the suit, testing my nerve, practicing face in the water. Reassuring myself that the next swim will not have the nightmarish quality of the last one. I will go back to The Cove again today, and tomorrow as well, to lessen the anxiety. I will prove to myself that the water is not the enemy. I will prove to myself what I know in my heart; that I can and will be a strong swimmer and a competitive Triathlete. I can do this. I have the body, I have the strength, I have the tools. I can and will conquer my fears, it is just a matter of practice.      

No comments:

Post a Comment