Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Vigilance

    One of the many weird things about being female are "Fat Days." You all know exactly what I am talking about. I weigh no more today than I did yesterday, and feel great mentally and physically. But oddly, I feel fat today. I know for a fact that even the sleekest, professional, female athletes have Fat Days. There really is no rhyme or reason to it. It just Is. What is the cure, the remedy, the elixir? Eat less, workout more? Not this week. I am in a Taper Week, so restricting calories is not the best idea. Keeping an eye on what goes into my system, yes, I always do that. Even when I am allowing myself an indulgence, I keep an eye on things to keep it all from getting out of hand. Being a recovering carbohydrate addict, I know how easy it is to fall off the wagon, to pump up my system with white sugar and high fructose corn syrup. I am vigilant against such a depraved downfall, cautious, careful, ever watchful. So, despite my vigilance, what the hell is up with the Fat Day? And why now? I blame it, as I blame a lot of my physical and mental oddities, on hormones. The ongoing Hormonal Shitstorm my body has been subjected to for too long. I do know that today is not the day to fall off the wagon. I am being watchful, concerned. I also am looking forward to a good swim this afternoon. I don't plan on going too crazy, but it is my last lesson before Attila the Yoda heads off to college, and my last real swim before my final Tri of the season. I will swim my regular two hours, focusing on form and breathing. It will feel good to slip through the water, work my body in ways that no other form of exercise can quite match. It will help me to burn away this Fat Day, put it behind me, and move on towards my upcoming Epic Weekend of self imposed torture.

No comments:

Post a Comment