Sunday, September 2, 2012

Taper Week

    Now I am into the toughest week in my training regiment: The Taper Week. I do not Taper very well. At all. I want to keep pushing myself, adding to my arsenal, building strength and stamina. But I know the reality, that it is too late in the game to add either strength or stamina for my next event. But that knowledge does not make me not want to try. I am more than a little obsessed with Faster, Stronger, Better.
    I will take Joshua out on a few short, easy rides. More to get him dialed in, and to remind myself of my love of cycling, and my love of Joshua. My ride yesterday was sweet, trying out my new seat, stretching my legs. But I noticed that my seat needed a little more height, so I tweaked it as soon as I got home. I also have some dry-lube and want to give him a going over to make sure everything is flowing smoothly.
    I will also go to The Cove and swim. Short, relaxing swims to get used to the wetsuit. And maybe, by the grace of the gods, get better at putting my face in the nasty water. That will take some practice, some desensitization. But it can only happen with practice, practice, practice. Yes, I am doing a lot of mental work as well. But nothing beats face-in-the-water practice.
    As a treat for myself, and a definite boost for my body, I have scheduled a massage for Friday with friends that I have the utmost faith in. I have long known that massage would help me get the most from my body, but I have procrastinated. Now, the idea of a nice going over 40 hours before my race is filling me with delight. I am sure weekly work on my neck and shoulders would be of massive benefit. I think I will try and make it so. As for now, Friday afternoon will be the grand finale of Taper Week.
    Saturday I plan on resting, eating right, maybe doing some housework, light yardwork. I may even do some easy Yoga. But I know that what my body needs this week for peak performance is simple, basic R&R. Rest and Relaxation. But damn, that is so not my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment