Monday, September 17, 2012

Another Event, Another Recovery and Taper

    Saturday made for a nice Training Brick. I cycled 7 miles into Mount Angel, ran my 5K in 32.19 minutes, hung out with a friend, then cycled home to a breakfast of high protein, gluten free pancakes with crunchy peanut butter and banana. Of course the cycling was beautiful, it was a gorgeous morning, and the bike is my strongest discipline by far. I love being on Joshua with the clean, crisp country air in my face and the back country asphalt rolling beneath his wheels. I do plan on really upping my bike miles once I have a better grip on the swim and run aspects of triathlon. My run felt pretty decent, though I wanted to come in under 30 minutes, which is still a slow pace. But I ran my race, at a solid, steady pace. I did have some fun speeding up and passing a lot of people in the early stages of the run. It was a mass start of several hundred people, which was a new experience for me. I did have a brief asthma episode at about mile 3, which made me have to back off, and kept me from a last minute kick to the finish. But I kept running, even while I was getting my bronchial tubes to stop making me feel like I was strangling. I think I need to keep my inhaler with me when I run. I don't like that, at all, but this isn't the first time asthma has nearly sidelined me in a run, and I'm sure it won't be the last. All in all, I really did feel good. Yes, there were a few points when my calves felt the burn, but I easily told myself that it was just 5K, and I knew I could withstand anything for the brief time it took to run the distance.
    I admit, I looked at saturday's race as a good workout, a way to practice my pacing, and more experience in the racing circuit to help me become more at ease before every start. Now I am into a Taper Week. Again. I don't do Tapers very well, but I am beginning to understand them and myself better with each event. I know I don't need to "take the week off." That is not tapering. But I also know I should not be doing hard workouts, or plyometric strength training. But I can do my standard weight workouts, mild cardio, and I do plan on swimming tomorrow, though I probably won't do the full two hours that I usually do. My upcoming weekend will be the toughest endurance day I have done to date: Portland Sprint Tri in the morning, and The Firefighter's Stair Climb at noon. Yeah, the guys at the station think I a bit crazy, but I am very excited. I know I can do this. I also know that my nutrition and workouts this week will be more important than they have been for past, easier events.
    I admit, training for Tris has been one of the best things I have ever done for myself, and I love the training regiment. Getting to work in the different disciplines, studying techniques, training tips, reading coaching articles, refining my nutrition. It appeals to the sports-geek in me, the student of fitness that lurks within. I read incessantly, gleaning bits of information here and there, from experts around the world. It has been an amazing learning experience, as well as a great physical journey. Yes, I am a geek, I love the research almost as much as the workouts themselves. I can't help it.
    So, I'm eating clean, healthy and almost-but-not-quite Paleo. My weight is staying rock solid at 165. My jean size is now down to Levi's size 10 (from a snug 16, not too damned bad, if I do say). But most important is how I feel. I feel 20 years old, light on my feet, svelte, long and lean, strong and wiry. I have re-imagined my body, rebuilt myself in a better form. I am developing the strong limbed, wide shouldered, narrow-hipped, lean body of a swimmer and Triathlete. I feel reborn, truly. I am excited for my winter training schedule. Excited to have a few months of solid training, uninterrupted by Taper weeks, or recovery weeks, just down and dirty, hardcore conditioning. I am so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment