Friday, September 28, 2012

New Regiment

    As the race season winds down I am looking ahead to winter workouts, off season training, making my workouts more about quality than quantity. I know my aging knees cannot handle pounding the pavement for miles and miles, it is just not a good plan, and counter-intuitive. I risk over-use, stress and injury, which would sideline me, as well as just piss me off.
    So, what to do to get my running speed and endurance up? My ongoing research has led me to a few new, and exciting, workout ideas formed around Crossfit principles. By incorporating plyometrics, speed strength training, and more intensive core work I believe I can increase my speed, strength and stamina.   
    Plyometrics trains muscles to have more explosive strength. Plyometric exercises force the body, especially the large muscles of the legs, to do repetitive, quick, explosive moves such as Jump Squats, Lateral High Steps, Jump Sequences, Stepper Jumps, Split Squats with Jump, and the ever unpopular Burpee. You get the idea. These exercises are also intensely aerobic as well, to get the cardiovascular system pumped.
    Speed Strength training is what is at the core of a lot of Crossfit workouts; Set a timer, select 2 or 3 strength training exercises, and do as many sets as possible within the allotted time frame. This is the basic idea behind my Down and Dirty Thirty leg workout, which incorporates strength and plyometric legwork for a solid 30 minutes, no breaks, as many sets as I can manage. It just about, but not quite, gives me dry heaves. I am mentally preparing several similar workouts that will either work my entire body, or be more specific such as legwork or upper body/core work.
    I know that firefighting will require I increase my core strength, wrestling heavy hose is hella tough, and incredibly awesome; think Ultimate Supersoaker. And a strong core is essential in all 3 triathlon disciplines, as well as any obstacle racing I opt do.  So I am looking to add a whole new series of exercises using the Macebelle, Indian Clubs, and Slosh Tubes. This should really work my shoulders, chest and core, and activate muscles vital for heavy lifting, stability, and balance.
    All this has me ready to reorganize the garage to set up my long anticipated home gym. A finished, attached garage giving me space for a gym was one of the big selling points on my little house. Now to make it happen: Mats, bench, pull-up bar, climbing rope, cool paint job, epic posters. The time has come. As soon as the weather turns wet, I am diving into this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment