Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Off Season Training Thoughts

    With two Triathlons and a few foot races left in the season, I am already looking ahead to my off-season training. Once the dark days of winter hit, it will be nigh on impossible to get out to run or cycle after work so I will, sadly, have to be more reliant on treadmill and bike roller. But I will use them, boring as they are, because there is nothing quite like repetition to keep endurance levels up. Happily, I will have access to my beloved swim center, and will likely up my swims to 3 per week. Partly to compensate for few road miles, but largely to reach the point of being able to comfortably complete the swim of an half-Ironman next year.
    Also on the agenda will be increased strength training. This will serve several purposes: Strength can increase stamina; Strength can increase speed; and most importantly, Firefighter Academy starts in January and I will be hauling hose, lifting ladders, packing a 40lb SCBA, wrecking shit with an ax, and generally having to be a rough and tumble firefighter every weekend for 3 months. Hell, I figure the Academy will help make up for lack of road miles, 'cause it sure will take strength and stamina.
    I also will add Pilates and Yoga back into my regiment. They did me right this last winter, helping reduce stress, tight muscles, and adding balance and strength as well. I know that the more I train the more I will need to work on flexibility.
    Also key to the Plan will be to define and refine my eating habits even more. I want to really dial in my nutrition to help alleviate digestive and inflammatory issues that I know can be triggered by what goes into my gullet. I have planted my winter greens garden and am hoping it will provide me with fresh spinach, Swiss chard, lettuce, beets, kale and parsnips until well into winter. If I tend it right, it should work out. I am tempted to add a third raised bed that can be easily covered with row cloth for an even later crop of spinach. But that is kind of on the back burner, at least until next weekend, my one "off" weekend between now and mid-October. Dairy continues to be off limits, and I still really miss my g'damned milk, but I am getting used to the deprivation. Whey protein seems to be digestible, but as I have recently learned, the egg and milk protein powder I bought has to be used judiciously. I baked up a batch of cornbread and added more than 1/4 cup to the batter, not only did it alter the texture in a weird way, it also caused uncomfortable internal rumblings. I'm glad I discovered this fact last night, and not in my meals the day before the next race.
    Yes, thinking ahead into winter. But also remaining focused on the Now. 4 days until the next sprint Tri, and 18 days to my first Olympic distance Tri. I am a little nervous, but more excited and eager. I am remaining focused on my goals, refining and defining, planning, plotting, scheming, and working hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment