Friday, September 7, 2012

Countdown Is On

    Counting the hours until my next race, 46.5 hours from the starting horn. I am excited, and planning on pushing myself, leaving nothing on the course. I will improve my time on each leg. I do wish I had more time to train, of course, but being as this is my very first season as a competitor, my first year to enter races of any kind, and still only 4 months out of knee surgery, I think I am doing quite well. I am still on the fence about the distance I want to do on my final Tri of the season, Sprint or Olympic. I look at both sides of the coin: Sprint, I can push myself to a PR, finish higher in both the overall and my age category, finish with a High; or Olympic, push my body beyond anything I have tried as yet, get a taste of more endurance, finish lower in the overall, but know I really went above and beyond. Both have their own levels of difficulty, both have their payoffs. After my race this sunday I will be solid in my plan. The key is The Swim.
    The Swim, my Achilles' Heel. But I am far better prepared this time out. I have better skills, better tools, more experience, a better concept of what to expect. Last night's swim was lovely. The weather was perfect,  The Cove was peaceful and beautiful, my attitude was great. I had the entire place all to myself, except for a few curious ducks. I slipped into the water without trepidation, relaxed, happy. I still do not want my face in the murky water, but that is okay for now. I knew I would swim easy this close to a race, just practicing long, smooth strokes. I swam out to the near buoy and back several times. The first of the autumn leaves were floating in the water and on several occasions I felt their gentle, clinging touch on my limbs. But did I shriek like a girl? Did I Panic? Did I levitate out of the water and sprint towards dry land? Did I envision ghastly tentacles reaching up from the dark depths to caress my skin before yanking me into the weeds to suck the flesh from my bones? No. No, I did not. And I am very proud of myself. Okay, maybe I toyed a little with the tentacles image, but just a little. I kept calm, kept swimming, enjoyed the feel of my body in the water. I climbed out of the water, relaxed on the dock for a bit enjoying the perfection of the evening, letting the warm air dry my skin. I decided one more lap to the buoy before heading for home, the water felt so good.
    So, now with less than 2 days until kick off, it is about relaxation, rest and keeping nutrition on track. I have a massage scheduled for this afternoon to work out any tight muscles, and just for the sheer pleasure. Tonight I will repeat the delicious, high protein "taco pie" that served me so well before my 10K. Eat clean, good protein, good carbs, plenty of fluids. I have stayed on track with this all week, and feel great. The countdown is on, I will make this an A Race.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment