Sunday, September 23, 2012

Epic Day. Slow, But Epic.

    Today was my last Tri of the season. As well as my first time doing the Firefighter's Stair Climb. I had hoped to put in a stellar performance at the Tri, but I can't say it was my best effort. No, I take that back, it was my best effort because I had to work so damned hard to get through it. The days did not start out fabulous, I woke with chest congestion and my stomach was unhappy. I had to force myself to eat. And nothing settled in very well. I had a banana with a little peanut butter before I left the house at 5:15am. And managed to get half a protein bar down shortly before I arrived at the site. But my energy felt okay, despite it all.
    It was a cold morning. No surprise, it is now autumn, and it was barely past sunup. But once I was zipped into my Selkie suit I did not notice the cold. The swim started out decently, as we swam 100 yards across the current to the first buoy. But then the left turn, into the current. Swimming upstream, in the middle of the Willamette is not easy. As a matter of fact, it sucks. It felt like so much work to make even the smallest headway. And the lung cheese and upset stomach I woke with decided it was time for an encore. I actually get mild motion sickness when swimming in open water if there are even the smallest of waves. But I soldiered on. "Gut it Out," was the motto for the day. Finally, after an eternity of swimming, I staggered to shore. I really wanted to get to Joshua and into the saddle.
    The bike ride went well, as usual, but I had lost so much time in the swim that I was at the back of the pack. I really had to push myself just to maintain the status quo. It was over all too soon, and I was back in transition, ready for the run. Now is when things got dodgy. I think I am allergic to cottonwood trees. It is the only explanation. I started having bronchial constriction less than a quarter mile in. This time I was prepared with my inhaler though. As a matter of fact, I went the whole 5K with the inhaler in my hand. I had to stop and walk repeatedly as my breathing issues didn't want to subside easily. I finally found my stride in the last mile and was making decent time until I got back into the park and under the cottonwood trees and my breath started whistling in my throat. Nothing like feeling strangled to put a crimp on the sprint to the finish. But I did finish. Even though there were a number of times when I felt like stopping and taking a DNF. But I didn't. Instead I wandered about for a few minutes, kind of wanting to soak my legs in the cold water of the river, before giving up on that notion and packing up my gear.
     As much as I would have liked to dwell at the Tri, and gnosh on the tasty food presented for all the athletes, I had to blast cross town to the Bancorp building for the Firefighter's Stair Climb, and I was running drastically short on time. But that is for another blog. Tomorrow. Because today kicked my ass, and I am tired. But honestly, I feel great. My body feels good, my mind feels sharp, my mood is mellow and yet elated.

No comments:

Post a Comment