Wednesday, March 20, 2013

What Is Success?

    With The Main Event officially on the books I am more aware than ever that I will need to start fine tuning and dialing in all aspects of preparation. It is not like I do not study, search and research, practice what I preach, and reach for my goals. But now, now I find my focus is more intent than ever before. Yes, I over-analyze and over-think. This is not headline news. It is who I am, who I have always been, and very likely who I will be until the day I cross the Rainbow Bridge (at the age of 113, or older). I like to think I am one who learns from her mistakes. I have thought over all the aspects of last season and have an inkling of what I need to do to make this season more successful.
    "Successful" may be misconstrued by some. My idea of success is beating myself, my own times, my own levels of athleticism. My success is based largely on my own desire to do better than last time, in nearly everything I do. If I were to manage to place in my age bracket I would be elated, I can't deny it, and I do want to push myself into the upper echelon, but that would be the icing, not the true triumph. I know that some athletes may think it is a cop-out to not push to actually win, but for me it truly is the journey, not the destination. If I was told that I would never place above the bottom 10% it wouldn't make me stop, it would not take away my pleasure in the journey, it might make me try harder though. I confess, I can be competitive, I want to do well. I want to place well. It keeps me training and striving, but it is not the end-all, be-all of my events. What is the true End-all, Be-all? Body, Mind, and Spirit working together to form a better person. Stronger, healthier, happier. That is the true goal, the ultimate Win.

No comments:

Post a Comment