Thursday, March 7, 2013

I Need More Time, As Always

    My schedule amazes even me. I am rarely home for more than an hour or two, either getting home late, or home for a bit then blasting out the door to drill, or class, or something. It is always something. Yes, I am tired all the time, but excited and eager as well. Last night I got home tired, moody, and a little blue. I just wanted to sit, relax, veg out, go to bed early and sleep like the dead. Instead I got a load of laundry going, fed the menagerie, and put on workout gear. I did not have much time, and almost bagged the idea of any kind of functional workout, I had drill to get to and knew I would likely have a physical evening. But, even a short workout is better than no workout, even when I want nothing more than a few minutes of nothing. So I hopped on the treadmill, warmed up for five minutes, then went into my interval routine: 1 minute slow and easy, 1 minute fast race pace, for 25 minutes. I did work up a good sweat, and felt much better after than if I had opted for a half hour of nothing.
    Drill, as expected, was physical. Nothing quite as rigorous as search and rescue, or the Denver prop, but we threw packs for a while, then did hose drills, followed by some ladder rescue. I know most people would  not share our humor, but carrying a buddy down a ladder can be rise to a whole slough of innuendos and hilarity. We were laughing so hard we could barely breathe. It made for an epic night. I am always amazed that no matter my mood for the day, by the time I am leaving the station I feel fantastic. It is a miraculous anti-depressant.
    I am beginning to feel pressure to increase my workouts, but at this particular junction I cannot see any way to fit more into my schedule. Competitive long course triathletes usually do at least 2 workouts a day; one in the morning, another in the afternoon. But these are people who also manage to have the time for a mid-day nap, and have even less of a social life than I do. I know I could get up an hour or two earlier and squeeze in a run in the morning, but at this point sleep is far more critical to my training and my health. Once Academy is over I may have a little more time, especially on the weekends. Maybe. Or maybe not. Time, I always need more time.

No comments:

Post a Comment