Thursday, March 21, 2013

Race Fueling

    In my never ending quest to improve my nutrition I am researching healthy, whole food alternatives to the standard on-the-go, race day, sports-geek consumables. The vast rainbow array of artificially colored and flavored, prepackaged beverages, gu, shots, blocks, chews, gums, powders, and pills promise vigor, vitality, energy, recovery, and race day prowess for the endurance athlete. Mostly, I think they promise to be chock-a-block full of chemicals and high fructose corn syrup. Not only does Brain rebel against the idea of putting such chemistry kit experiments into our system, Body also rebels, sometimes rather violently. The cleaner I eat, the cleaner I have to eat. And I am okay with that. So I search and research. Products as well as recipes and ideas. Fortunately, I am not the only athlete in the world that is concerned with the purity of the fuel that goes into Body. There are several companies that provide clean, organic, healthy supplements and on-the-fly tasty morsels.  Being me, though, I want to create my own pre-race and race day foods and beverages.
    So far, this is where I am at (this is a short list, a new vein of study), knowing I need easily absorbed carbohydrates, minimal fat and protein: Onigiri, Japanese Rice Balls. Sweet Tea with lemon, Agave, and a pinch of salt. Bananas, you just can't improve upon this perfect food, and I eat one before and after swimming so I know my body can handle it when under stress. I have been successfully playing with gluten-free, whole grain quick breads made with cooked pumpkin, squash or yams to replace most of the oil.
    It is hard to come up with ideas for calorie dense, low fat, low protein foods that my body can assimilate while racing, and that won't upset my delicate digestive system. It is quite limiting, really. It also limits my ability to purchase prepackaged products no matter how wholesome they may be. I have five months to dial in a good nutrition plan. I think this weekend I will make Onigiri.

No comments:

Post a Comment