Friday, March 29, 2013

Indoor Tri

    Next week is the "Big Week" in my training cycle, which means pushing myself further and harder. Gearing up for it this week I did an "indoor triathlon" on Tuesday. It all started at the pool, of course. Actually, let's go back to earlier in the day, when I got the smashing idea of squeezing in all three disciplines into one day. I had a free(ish) evening, my cooking for the week was done, my house was clean(ish), I had no studying to do, no place to be except home. Okay, back to the pool... I am taking my swimming down a notch, now that I am ramping up cycling and swimming as I head into spring. Swimming was my workout mainstay through the winter, I really wanted to finesse my technique, and build a solid base, both goals accomplished. Now I am swimming to maintain, not build, in an attempt to not wreck my shoulders before September. So Tuesday I only swam 40 laps, and did some strengthening drills, and some speed laps, for a total of 75 minutes in the water. Then shower, race for home, feed the menagerie, brush the dogs a bit (they are blowing coat, all over the house), and into my cycling shorts.Okay, that was probably the longest transition ever, but I made up for it in T2. I cycled hard, at a high cadence for a solid 30 minutes, entertaining myself with a documentary on marathon running. Straight from the bike to the treadmill for 30 minutes of alternating slow jog with speedplay at about 110% of my race pace. I finished with 20 minutes of stretching and torturing myself with some myofascial release self-massage with a tennis ball (I can make myself cry). This made for a great workout, one I am planning on fitting into my schedule with some regularity, increasing time and distance as I close in on my A Race.
    As for next week, the Big Week, I am not quite sure what kind of exquisite torment I have in store for myself. Looking ahead at my real world schedule it might make better sense to do next week in a similar vein to this week, with some good, solid workouts, and make the following week Big. I have a little time to think it over, I am a flexible coach, and know I have to work with my real world schedule if I want to optimize my training. Today; Trail Run. It will be fabulous. Tomorrow cycle and/or run, and strength/core workout. Sunday, I have no idea. But I am flexible that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment