Friday, March 1, 2013

Supplement Insanity

    I made good on my plan to start the full frontal assault on my digestive issues. $55 got me natural probiotics, a plant based digestive enzyme blend, and aloe vera juice to start with. Getting bang for my buck, both the probiotic and digestive enzyme also have turmeric and ginger, which are also on my list of anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer supplements. The enzyme blend has bromelain extract from pineapple, and papain extract from papaya, both of which were on my list of go-to supplements. True, I don't really have an extra $55 to toss about and spend on supplements that may or may not work, but I have more faith in homeopathic remedies than attacking my body with pharmaceuticals. If I had been feeling financially reckless, it would not have been difficult to spend $200 or more just getting the basics that I would like to start using. Some supplements are old friends that I have let fall by the wayside; glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM, Omega-3.
    My plan of attack also calls for weaning myself off of NSAIDs. This is not going to be easy. I thought about going cold turkey and trusting to the various anti-inflammatory foods and supplements to help ease me through. But I know that homeopathic remedies can take some time to kick in, so instead of yanking the NSAIDs from my system, and possibly letting inflammation get a stronger grip on me, I have cut my intake in half. I will see what happens. Yes, pain woke me in the middle of the night, but it usually does, with or without any kind of pain/inflammation reducers.
    I know I am taking a shotgun approach to my digestive and inflammation issues. But since I do not know what the underlying cause or causes are, it is the best approach I know. I have a feeling that it could all be related. If my current attack does not produce positive results I think the next step is to go on a cleansing diet, then on to a restrictive hypoallergenic diet for a while to see what happens. Long and short of it: this is a pain in the ass.

No comments:

Post a Comment