Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Fourth Discipline

    I think everyone knows the Three Disciplines of Triathlon: Swim, Cycle, Run. So what is the Fourth? It is nutrition. It is the rocket fuel that allows a body to perform at its best, and not bonk from lack of sustainable energy. In a long course Triathlon, whether a half or full Ironman, it is an acknowledged fact that the body is burning fuel faster than it can replenish. Yes, you could eat enough calories, but a body under stress will not process them and you will end up with cramps, nausea, and possibly vomiting. But even before The Big Day, there is much to know and understand about eating for optimum training. There is a plethora of experts, reports, and articles out there just waiting to be Googled. It is an avalanche of knowledge, with plenty of contradictory advice. As with all things, I read as much as I can get my hands on, let the information rattle around in my subconscious for a bit, then formulate my own plan of attack. Yes, it would be great to have a nutrition coach to analyze my body chemistry, or blood type, or whatever it is they use to build an optimal eating plan for an endurance athlete. It would be nice, but it is not reality. I am self-coached, from the ground up. I plan my workouts, I push myself, I self massage, and I feed myself, all to the best of my abilities.
    I do have one great advantage over a lot of athletes, I am a damned good cook. I love to find new ways of preparing healthy, satisfying, delicious meals for myself. Over the years, and especially this last year, and most definitely the last 6 months, I have been refining my knowledge, perfecting what I prepare to go into my gaping maw. I am nearly vegetarian at this point, but I do like meat so use it sparingly, and then only super lean bits, added more as a flavoring than as a main course. I am eating a lot of whole grains, legumes, raw nuts, fresh fruits, and raw vegetables. I have eliminated refined flours, refined sugars, artificial flavorings and additives, high fructose corn syrup (which I have referred to as "The Devil" for years), artificial sweeteners, prepackaged foods, junk food, and fast food. I am nearly wheat and dairy free. The only dairy my body will allow these days is cheese (thank the gods... what would life be without cheese?). My sweeteners of choice are evaporated cane juice, and Agave syrup. I will not consume artificial sweeteners. I am not saying any of this to be Holier-Than-Thou, it is just fact, and what I know I need to do for my body. I wish I did not need to be so particular about what goes into my body, but I am doing what my digestive tract, and common sense, dictate.
    All that being said, what training and race day fuel boil down to is finding the right balance for an individual body. I am learning that what works for me is three main meals consisting of whole grains or other complex carb like sweet potato, a small to moderate serving of protein, and fresh, raw fruits and vegetables. I do not skip breakfast. I also eat 3 or 4 healthy snacks daily, usually fruit and raw nuts, maybe a slice of gluten free, whole grain bread (homemade, of course) with a schmear of peanut butter. I do a lot of smoothies that turn out thick and green, and looking like something that should be bubbling in a cauldron, or glopping up out of an impact crater in a bad sci-fi movie. My body is rewarding me for my vigilance. I am disinclined to get sick, my energy level is good (though I am always sleep deprived these days, my fault, not Body's), and I am doing decently long, arduous workouts daily.
    I am putting every bit as much thought into The Fourth Discipline, as I am the other three. Maybe more so. I know now that my poor performance in the Portland Tri was very likely due to poor fueling. I don't want that to happen again. I want to toe the start with as much in my arsenal as possible. I want to be trained as well as I am able, and fueled as well or better than my competitors. I have the discipline. The Fourth Discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment