Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Breathing is Essential

    I have said it before, and I will say it again; I love trail running!! I do, I truly do. When I am trail running it feels as if I can go forever. Yesterday afternoon I headed to an old favorite of mine, a trail I had not visited in several years. The weather was perfect Pacific Northwest Spring weather; mild, slightly overcast, soft breeze, the scent of new green and blossoms in the air. Having been plagued with minor injuries and pains this year I took my time warming up, walking for a solid 15 minutes before breaking into an easy run. I ran a bit gingerly at first, waiting for new pains to reveal themselves, but they did not. Just a few minutes into my run I was dancing through the woods feeling lithe, graceful, and light-footed. I am sure that much of it was in my mind, but I know that when Brain believes, Body will follow. I ran to the end of the trail, dodging branches, leaping logs, prancing through rough terrain, feeling wonderful. At the end, a bluff overlooking the river, I reluctantly turned and ran back.
    I wanted to give my new allergy inhaler another test, but was a bit hesitant. It is not fun to feel my throat constrict, and once the issue arises it is not easily suppressed. There is a short, steep hill at the trail head, I knew this would be the test. Up I ran, legs and arms pumping easily. Lungs working beautifully, laboring but not straining. At the top, lungs still working, I wanted to do a happy dance, instead I ran on, slowing a bit to control my breathing. I was actually waiting to feel something, some hint that I was on the verge of breathing issues, but no such panic inducing feeling visited. I felt inspired, energized, almost delirious. I decided to do 15 minutes of Fartlek speedplay. I would pick a tree up the path a bit and sprint to it, then slow to normal, then find another target and sprint.
    My legs and lungs were feeling great. I am hoping this is a breakthrough for me. To be able to run relatively pain free would be a happy making thing for me. But to be able to run and breathe is like a gift from the gods. Maybe, just maybe, I can start building a solid base for the running leg of my A Race *knock on wood*. Running is essential, and a little pain is to be expected. Breathing is essential, just essential, no ifs, ands, or buts. I love trail running. Truly.

No comments:

Post a Comment