Monday, March 25, 2013

Hitting The Trails

    I managed to get out on a short trail run last friday, my first since late last fall. Today I will run again. This time I am returning to my old stomping grounds at a local state park. I used to visit it daily with my dogs, back when we lived "in town." I have had to rein in my running the last few months, I have been nursing a few painful issues. One thing that has been most disconcerting, and painful, has been the pain and cramping I have been having in my calves. No matter how careful I have been of technique and distance, my calves start to burn and hurt just minutes into a run. It has not been what I would consider "normal" pain in any way. No matter what I tried, the situation was not getting any better. Finally I turned to myofascial release self massage with a tennis ball and roller. I have to say, I can make myself cry. Deep tissue massage is painful. But just a few sessions and already the issue seems to be resolved. I am not going to take this as a sign that I can suddenly increase my running distance by great bounds, but it will let me start rebuilding my base. I was running decent distances last fall, and even into the winter on my treadmill, but have had to back off so much that I know I have back-slid.
    The other issue that has prevented me from being able to push myself has been the annoyance of my asthma. I got a prescription for a rescue inhaler last summer, and it did help some, but not enough. There were too many times that I was running with the inhaler in my hand, stopping to suck on it too frequently. And worse still, knowing the finish line is 100 yards away, mustering the last dregs of energy to sprint for home, only to have to pull up short and take hits on the nebulizer to prevent myself from passing out due to lack of oxygen. Having your airwaves constrict to the point of feeling like you are being strangled, is not a feeling I would wish on anyone. It is panic inducing. As of this last friday I now have a different inhaler, with stronger medication, that should prevent not only the actual restricted bronchial tubes, but will also alleviate the chest congestion I have always gotten when I do a hard cardio workout. According to my doctor, that chest congestion is inflammation brought on by asthma, and can cause damage to my lungs. Who knew?
    So, calves feeling healthy. Lungs feeling better. I should be able to start base building again. Tonight I will hit the long trail along the river. My goal is to run 6 days a week, even if just for 30 minutes. Half Marathon, here I come.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment