Saturday, January 18, 2014

Training Log 18012914.15:00

Training Log Stardate 18012014.15:00

I am not very good at posting to a journal daily. Yesterday, Friday the 17th, should have been leg day, at least in the evening. But yesterday I began having random, sharp, stabbing pain in the center of my right patella (kneecap). This is not a good sign. My fear is that it is from what little running I have been able to do. I am pretty sure that it is patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS), aka "Runner's Knee," which "particularly effects runners, cyclists and hikers," and that "40% of pro cyclists will get anterior knee pain in any given year." No, I am not a pro, but I am cycling daily. The funny thing is that the pain should hit during my self-imposed 48 hour leg rest period. So, as per my standard modus operandi, I researched treatments. The main course of treatment which is 90% effective, to my delight, is to work on quad strengthening exercises. Not that I don't already do that, but it is heartening to know. The long and short of this dissertation, is that last night was not Leg Night as I had planned, so I opted for upper body/core strength conditioning instead.

Friday: No morning workout, since I was on a 48 hour leg hiatus. Evening workout: Upper Body/Core conditioning for swimming. With bands, three sets each: Boxer (single arm press with torso rotation), tricep press, fly, French curl, press, upright row, swim stroke, single arm row with torso rotation. With hand weights, three sets each: Reverse fly, bent over row, upright row, side lift. Three sets each: Dip, push-up, 1 minute plank. With medicine ball, three sets each: Hay toss, rotating toss, tall side bends. Finished with 15 minutes stretching, paying particular attention to overhead shoulder stretches for swimming.

Saturday Morning workout: Late start (it is Saturday, after all). 90 minutes cycling, alternating high cadence/moderate resistance, and lower cadence/high resistance. I started a little slow and easy, with no particular agenda since I wanted to see if there would be any knee pain. There was absolutely none, so I slowly upped my speed and intensity. I felt good, working hard enough to feel a good burn. I wanted to finish with an hour of leg work, but decided to not push my luck. The last thing I need this early in the season is to start having knee issues. It was about this time last year that I strained my piriformis muscle, and that definitely effected my ability to train at high intensity.

I have to work hard and smart this year if I want to make it to September undamaged, and in good condition. I need to be strong and powerful, with good endurance, and no injuries. That is a tough row to hoe, no doubt about it. It will take brains and brawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment