Saturday, January 11, 2014

Training Log 01112014.22:45

Training Log Stardate 01112014.22:45

I let myself sleep in until 7:45 this morning, since it is saturday. I slept better last night than I have in a while, even though I was pounced by a young pit bull in the wee hours. Drank 1 pint of water, then poured myself a cup of black coffee with 1/4 tsp evaporated cane juice. I got to dawdle a bit, schlepp about in my bathrobe, catch up on some writing, and eat a bowl of granola with 1/4 cup roasted sunflower seeds, and almond milk for breakfast.
The Pool opens at 10:00 am for lap swim on saturday, I had planned on getting there right as the doors opened, but I was running late. I ended up going off half cocked and forgot to take honey water to drink during my swim, and a banana for immediately after. But I decided that with granola in my belly I was fueled well enough. Swam 100 laps, which was my goal. It took me just over 2 hours. I got distracted at lap 60 by a random guy who told me I had "Excellent swim mechanics." We ended up talking for nearly 10 minutes, he is a marathoner who is considering training for triathlon, so of course I had to lend some encouragement. The break let my arms stiffen up a bit, and it took me several laps to warm them back up. At lap 80 I was thinking of shooting for 110 laps, or 5K, but once I got to lap 95 I realized my technique was beginning to suffer a little, so I focused hard on the last 5 laps and called it good.

For lunch I had my regular smoothie, with an egg added for extra protein. Also a handful of raw almonds, 2 black bean brownies, and an orange. Supplements: 1000 mg Ester-C, 2000mg MSM, 500mg Niacin.

I got hit with the munchies about mid afternoon but didn't want to eat a big meal since I was planning on running this evening. So I grazed on raw almonds, dark chocolate, granola, and a handful of multi-grain chips.

Evening workout: Treadmill, walked 1 mile to warmup, then ran 3.25 miles with a few 1 minute walk breaks when my asthma started making trouble, then 1/4 mile walk to cool down. My running felt good, despite the twinge of asthma. I have a long way to go, literally and figuratively, but I feel I am making good progress. Finished with 20 minutes of stretching and 20 minutes of myofascial release with roller ball and massage roller.

Dinner was 2 eggs and 2 cups of roasted winter vegetables, a handful of raw almonds, and a cup of rosemary and mint tea. Supplements 1000mg Ester-C, 2000mg MSM.

My swim felt good today. I am pleased that I can swim nearly 3 miles without difficulty. I do wish I could swim faster, but as they say, "You can't win a triathlon in the swim, but you can lose it there." Meaning many people exert far too much energy to make a fast swim, and that can leave them depleted later in the race. Speed is not my strength. Strength is my strength. I am strong, and building my endurance based on that strength. I do not expect to be in the winner's circle, that is not why I do this, I do it because I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment