Saturday, January 11, 2014

Formulating A Plan

I am starting to formulate plans to increase my distances in all three disciplines.

Starting today I will be adding at least 2 long swims per month by swimming on saturday morning, or possibly by getting off work a bit early on friday. This is in addition to my regular 75 minutes twice a week. Once The Cove is back up to temperature I will resume my open water swimming with my long swim on friday afternoon.

I need to get a few cold weather cycling gear items, in particular a decent pair of gloves. I don't plan on being so hardcore as to go out in the driving rain to ride, but we get plenty of milder weather around here, when the rain gives us a break, and the temperatures are tolerable. For winter cycling, since the roads in my area have no shoulders, plus blind corners and high log truck traffic, is to load my bike in the truck, drive to my son's house in Mulino, and ride Hwy 213 from there into I205. This route has a good bike lane, decent scenery, and some very challenging hills. That would give me a 30 mile ride of all long hills, and I can always do a double when I want more miles. It has the added advantage that I would get to see my grandson.
 
I need to increase my running mileage gently. I am only running an easy 3 miles right now, and my knees are feeling delicate, I don't want to risk damaging myself this early in the season. I figure that by continuing with easy runs, adding a little mileage every week, while really ramping up in swimming and cycling, that by the time summer rolls around I can start hitting the trails for longer distances. I wish I could find a trail system closer to home to run with the dogs. There is a great series of trails up in the foothills, but they are closed for another few months, and they are a solid 30 minute drive.
 
So much planning to do. Being self-coached, having a full time job, and the fire district, I have to be a tactician as well as an athlete. There is never enough time in the day. Speaking of which, time to stop writing and head to the pool, I am hoping to get in 3 miles this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment