Saturday, January 11, 2014

Training Log 01102014.23:30

Training Log, Stardate 01102014.23:30
  
Once again, I did not get enough sleep. Got to sleep about 11:00 pm, woke at 2:am, but only lay awake for about 30 minutes. Woke at 5:30am. Drank a pint of water, then poured a cup of black coffee with 1/4 tsp organic evaporated cane juice.

Cycling morning (indoors, with bike up on trainer, the weather is nasty) 70 minutes at high cadence, moderate resistance. 5 minutes stretching. Consumed a banana immediately after to help restore glycogen.
Breakfast: 2 egg breakfast burrito. Forgot to take my supplements. Drank a liter of water on my drive to work.
2nd breakfast: Clif Bar and banana. Snacks: 1/2 cup raw almonds and filberts, 2 black bean brownies.
My eating got off a bit today, I worked until 2:30 (my normal lunch time) then clocked out and headed home. Ate another Clif Bar and banana.
Had to shop for supplies, I was out of bananas, spinach, avocados, hemp protein, and eggs. Hit the Goodwill and got a brand new Speedo, size 10, for $5 (score!), and a hard softball (seems contradictory) for some myofascial release work.
Ate a bowl of granola, 2 black bean brownies, and a cup of black coffee for a pre-workout snack, did some chores then started my workout late.
Evening workout: 30 minutes cycling to warm up. 60 minutes of leg/glute work: 3 sets each 18" Step-ups, hip dips, single leg calf raises, single leg dead lift, single leg squat, split squat, wide leg squat, dead lift, clamshell, leg sweep, donkey kick. Finished with 20 minutes of stretching and 20 minutes of myofascial release with ball and massage roller (homemade, by me with pvc pipe and couplers for about $3).
Late Dinner: Smoothie with spinach, black cherry and cranberry juices, brown rice and hemp protein powders, 1 egg, banana, dash of agave nectar. Also a handful of corn/wholegrain/sweet potato chips, and an orange. Supplements: 1000mg Ester-C, 2000mg MSM.

My morning cycling felt great, once my legs woke up. I can maintain a high cadence without strain. I would like to get a heart rate monitor so I can better track my level of exertion, those "in the know" say it is an excellent way to know just how hard to push yourself during training and is more reliable than going by perceived level of exertion. Training alone does have the disadvantage that I may not push myself quite as hard when I train alone as I might if I was training with a group. On the other hand, this way I am not overextending myself by trying to compete with other athletes (and comparing myself to them) when I need to be focusing on my own level of training, fitness, and proper technique. The thing I love about what I am doing is that it is an individual sport, and it is all up to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment