Friday, August 10, 2012

Swim More. The Only Way.

    Once again, addressing my Swim Bonk. I have pondered all the factors of the swim and am coming up with some aspects that must be managed before my next Tri. One variable that I think my have contributed to my inability to relax and find my pace was my inability to see. Not only were my goggles fogging badly, but I was without contacts or glasses, so my near-sightedness definitely factored in to it all. I think it is nigh on impossible to fully relax when one is, in effect, blind and out on unfamiliar open water. Yesterday I picked up a simple bottle of anti-fog lens cleaner, used it, and was fog free for last night's swim. Next, I have an appointment with my opthamologist to renew my contact lens prescription. I will not do another Tri nearly blind. I want to see buoys, shoreline, finish line.
    The next point to ponder is my choice of swimming strokes. I admit, the Crawl is not my most natural stroke, but needs to be. I had resorted to the simple, slow, head above water, Breaststroke for most of my swim, and it is painfully slow, exhausting and very inefficient. Last night I think I had a few breakthroughs with my swimming, with stroke, breathing and kick. And next Tuesday I have my first private lesson to get some help with my technique, and maybe a few pointers on making my swim faster and more efficient.
    I also need to get back to my strength training. I have let it slide a bit these last few weeks. I strained my lower back in my typical zeal, lifting more than I should, especially in bicep curls, and decided I needed to take it easy in that arena until I was pain free. This also let me focus more energy into the three disciplines, all of which were new to my workout regime a mere 6 weeks ago. But, with back feeling healthy again, I am back to strength training, which really is my favorite workout anyway. So from here on out I will do upper body and core 3 times a week, and legs, glutes and abs 3 times a week on alternate days. This should get me back up to snuff relatively quickly.
    The final, and main point, I need to get in more open water swims. Plain and simple. The only way to get better, more relaxed, more effective, is to do it. There are no shortcuts here. So I plan on doing at least one open water swim per week, preferably two, for as long as the weather holds. Now to find a reasonably close place to put this into practice.
    I know that overall what I really need is time in the water. That truly is the only way to become a better, faster, stronger swimmer. The only way.

No comments:

Post a Comment