Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Pace

    My next Tri is rapidly approaching. I have exactly 10 days remaining before I will find myself in the chill of a sunday morning dawn, setting up my transition area on dewy grass, walking the course, finding the ins and outs of each leg. Yes, I am a little nervous. For the swim, of course. I know I am psyching myself out a bit on this, but doing all I can to keep my nerves in check. I have yet to do another open water swim, life keeps getting in the way. More precisely, I keep allowing life to get in the way. I know that I am subconsciously sabotaging my efforts, and I need to knock it the hell off. I can be my own worst enemy at times like this. Setting myself up to fail or quit. Not this time. I know I can and will do this.
    Tonight is my last real swim before the Tri. Tonight I will find my stroke speed and do a solid 20 laps before I allow myself to work with drag float and paddles. I do not care how fast I go, only that I go and keep going. I am strong. I have the power. I need to approach this with the same dogged determination that let me run a 10K last weekend. Find My Pace and stick to it. I can't allow others to influence what I know to be my pace. This held me in good stead last weekend, I passed and was passed a number of times by several people who would run past me then slow to a walk. All the while I kept my steady Penguin Pace and out-stamina'd them. I have strength and stamina. This is my forte. Increased speed can come later as I train through the winter.
    Coach is convinced I can do an Olympic distance Tri. I am not as sure of my skills as he is. Next weekend is my Bellwether weekend, it will tell me truly if I am ready. I know that Olympic will push me to my limits, force me out of my comfort zone, but I am totally cool with that. As a matter of fact, I want to be pushed, I want some discomfort, I do not want to placidly ride on my laurels. For what is the point to reach a goal and then coast along, content? For me, each goal has the potential to be a platform to the next dream. And so I will climb each platform, enjoy the view for a brief moment before climbing ever higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment