Sunday, August 12, 2012

Nutrition, Overthinking, As Usual

    In typical fashion, when faced with new endeavors, I research. I read everything I can get my hands on, gleaning bits of information, discarding the chaff. And believe me, when it comes to sport nutrition there are mountains of information waiting to be sorted through. I am not one to go high tech, or extreme. Okay, I can go extreme, but not as far as fad diets or radical "new" concepts in nutrition. I do believe that above all calories in must not exceed calories out. I believe that we should eat as naturally as possible. I avoid processed foods, chemicals, high fructose corn syrup, alcohol, fried foods, high sugar. This summer has seen the sudden onset of lactose intolerance, sadly, so I had to bid a mournful farewell to my consumption of two gallons of milk a week, and yogurt as a mainstay for lunch, as well as the delicious vanilla half and half in my coffee. This has been tough for me, as dairy has been my reliable, cheap form of protein for years. Thankfully, my body is still accepting whey protein, so I have that as a solid source of refueling after a workout.
    I am always interested in better ways to fuel the machine that is my body. The balance of nutrients, natural energy sources, optimal refueling after a workout, food as a source towards better health. I know many who follow different extreme diets; Atkins, Paleo, The Zone, Acai berry, Detox, No Carb. Low Carb, Hollywood. I say, if it works for them, and is do-able, then go for it. But I can't follow regimented plans devised by someone who does not know me, my body, or my requirements. So I go it alone, as is my nature.
    I do follow a healthy lifestyle, eating right for my body, working out religiously, believing that I need good fuel if I want my engine to perform at its best. You wouldn't put heating oil in a jet engine and expect it to run, why fill my system with crap if I want to get the most out of it? I do take a few supplements; a moderate multi vitamin, Vitamin D to offset a recurrence of melanoma, green tea extract, and a multi mineral to counter low iron and a slightly low thyroid. In the winter I do ramp up the B vitamins, minerals, and Vitamin D to try to counteract the inevitable seasonal effected disorder. It is an ongoing experiment, my body. Complicated by my current hormonal shitstorm. I have had to cut dairy and wheat, but this has not been as difficult as I had imagined. A pain in the ass, yes. But I am not so hypersensitive that I have to make a chemical analysis of everything that goes into my mouth. I do miss ice cream though.
    Where my focus of late has been is pre-race nutrition. I know the standard is to carb load the night before, but I don't see that as the best option for me. My recent research shows that breakfast the day before the race is where I need to optimize what goes into my system. Yes, I do overthink this topic, but then I overthink and over-analyze just about everything, it is my nature. I want to know that the morning of a race my body is as well prepared as I can make it. I do not want a night before overindulgence of carbs, or protein, or sugar, or anything, to make me feel like crap when I am on the course and should be reveling in the power of my body. I enjoy the machine that is Body. I love the feel of my muscles functioning on high power. I revel in the sensation of everything working together to be a smooth running, efficient, powerful machine.
    Where does all my research lead me? Eat clean. Eat balanced. Eat healthy. Protein from eggs, unprocessed  meats, whey powder, legumes. Plenty of fresh fruits and veggies, now from my own chemical free garden. Whole grains. Simple. Basic. Balanced. No major complicated diet plans. I eat when I am hungry, and let my body dictate what I do eat. So much research comes down to such simplicity. And the day before a race? I follow my Mom's advice from my earliest memories, "Eat a healthy breakfast." All the research and it all comes down to what my Mom always told me anyway, she has always been a firm believer in eating clean, unprocessed, natural foods, even before it was trendy and cool. Once again, Mom knows best.

No comments:

Post a Comment