Friday, August 24, 2012

Stroke. Power. Strength.

    I know I an obsessing over swimming right now. But at least it is a healthy obsession. Right? I mean, I could be obsessing over the Kardashians, the latest fashions, or, god forbid, The Twilight Saga. Instead I am nearly eating, drinking and sleeping swimming. I think about stroke, breathing, flutter kick, optimal ergonomics. Last night's swim felt great. No, I did not do lap after tireless lap. But I swam for a solid 2 hours, with very little in the way of rest. True, I did not do more than 4 laps without a break, but I was concentrating on form and power, and did not want to get sloppy. I spent quite a bit of time with a drag float and hand paddles, really working on smooth, long, fluid strokes, and worked my shoulders until they burned. It felt great. I am in love with this exercise, it lets me focus strictly on my upper body and proper strokes, while adding resistance that gives me the same exhilaration and sense of accomplishment that weight lifting does. My shoulders are reminding me today that I worked them quite well yesterday. I know I will take a day off, but g'damn, I want to swim this afternoon. I did pack my suit and towel with the thought of trying to do a brief open water swim at The Cove in Clackamette Park. I need to get my face in murky water. I need to get past the thought of slimy, nefarious creatures lurking just out of sight, waiting to slide rubbery hands across my ankle, causing me to shriek like a banshee and sob like child terrorized by clowns. Yes, murky water triggers anxiety, based in some long past trauma. Or maybe it was growing up hearing the story of how my Uncle Frankie died, drowned in the muddy water of a steep sided hole dug for a septic tank one month before his sixth birthday. I figure that bit of family history is more than enough to instill a deep-rooted dislike for cold, manky water. Regardless of the origin, I need to get past it if I am to be a competitive triathlete. True, it is said that no race is won in the swim. But stressing my mind and body in the first stage is not doing me any favors or helping with my time. So, I need to get past this. I will get past this. I will swim. Become a strong, powerful, fearless swimmer. I know I can. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment