Thursday, August 23, 2012

Food, Sleep, Taper

    With my first 10K a mere 42 hours away I am paying close attention to the little details of  prepping myself Mind, Body and Spirit. The events of the week have caused a bit of a glitch in my normal routines, including sleep deprivation, missed meals and shortened workouts. But now everything is smoothing out, I hope.
    I have been, as always, eating healthy, even though a few meals have been a protein bar and water on the go. My stomach settled down so that I was able to resume my vitamin and mineral supplements a few weeks ago. I know the most important period really is the next 24 hours or so. So today, although I was too scatterbrained to remember to boil eggs for my lunch, I am having good, easily digestible sources of natural protein and carbs, including almonds, bananas, almond milk with whey protein, organic granola with brown rice and hemp seed, apple, peanut butter, and a protein bar for the hour before my evening swim. My red blood cell count was a little low a few weeks ago, so I have been trying to add more red meat to my diet, as well as bumping up my multi-mineral supplement. For dinner tonight I am planning something new, and hopefully delicious: Gluten free cornbread baked with lean ground, grass fed beef, browned and seasoned, and Walla Walla sweet onion, caramelized, and the whole thing topped with fresh guacamole. And it will make great leftovers for breakfast tomorrow. Kind of a baked taco dish, kind of. I know I need healthy protein and lower fiber carbs the next few days, at least according to all the research. Yes, as usual, I have researched and over analyzed it all. I am still really missing dairy in my diet. I miss milk!! And yogurt. And cottage cheese. At least whey protein hasn't turned traitorous yet, and cheese in small quantities seems to be okay as well. G'damn, I do not need digestive problems. I want to be able to eat whatever healthy food I feel like, and not worry if it is going to cause "Issues." It makes me feel f'king feeble and delicate.
    I am also working on The Taper. I have been very good about not over doing any leg workouts, although I feel like I should be out running every day to make sure I don't gas out in the 10K. I am still swimming diligently, but that is mostly shoulder and core. Yes, I know running uses upper body and core muscles, but I would rather be a bit slow in this 10K than bonk another swim. So I have made a conscious choice to continue with my swimming no matter what. I am being diligent with my stretching, especially calves, hammies and psoas, yes quads too, and glutes, back, shoulders, neck. But I am putting a little extra effort into the muscles I know will be taxed.
    A major thing tonight and tomorrow will be getting quality sleep. Difficult at best. I am not a good sleeper. But tonight, I am hoping that several nights of less than optimal hours of Zs, combined with a good swim, some evening yoga, and a home cooked, delicious dinner will provide Body and Brain ample inducement to sleep like the dead. Hoping.
    In 48 hours I will be home, resting. Elated in the triumph of a race. No matter the outcome, there will be the sense of accomplishment. A triumph over fears. A victory of my body. And one step closer to an Olympic distance Tri. Coach said to me, "I think you have what it takes to be a competitive triathlete." I will prove him correct. I will prove to myself that I am the athlete my heart believes that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment