Friday, June 29, 2012

Swim #2

    For my first lap swim, ever, I had intentionally taken it a bit easy on myself. I did not want to wake the next day so sore I couldn't get out of bed. I learned this lesson a long time ago; there is nothing quite like going overboard on lunges only to find that you are so stiff and sore later that just lowering your ass onto the toilet is an excruciating endeavor. I made up my mind then and there that I would always take some care and intelligence when introducing a new exercise into my routine, no matter how fit I may think I am. This personal policy has left me in good stead with Body, as well as kept me from injuring myself in my zeal, or inadvertently making myself dread or loathe a new routine.
    All that being said, for my second swim I totally kicked my own ass. And freaking Loved it! I think I am falling desperately in love with swimming. I may not be a fast swimmer, but I am a strong swimmer. Speed has never been my greatest strength, but strength and stamina are my forte. On the warfield, I may not be the most nimble warrior, but I am nearly always one of the very last to leave the field. I have out-staminaed strong, healthy young men that were half my age. I see these healthy youngsters on the side of the field puking up their morning repast because their poor bodies are rebelling against their over eager antics. Yes, slow and steady wins the race. I would rather start at a solid pace, and keep that pace, then start quick, jump to the lead then find myself on the side of the road vomiting up well earned hydration. 
    Last night's swim I pushed myself harder, though still not hard enough. But again, I do not want to injure myself in my zeal. I swam 10 laps, non-stop, with a strong, steady pace. Actually, I swam 11 laps, but I lost count so made myself back up my count. Then I allowed myself a brief rest, very brief, then swam an additional 10 laps, with only slight pauses every few laps. I finished with 5 laps at a fairly slow pace, a cool down round, focusing on form and breathing. Granted, the last 5 laps, I was getting knackered. I would swim a lap, pause, catch my breath, tell myself aloud, "just three more... just two more... one more." I am not sure what the parents in the bleachers a few feet away thought of me talking to myself, though I did notice they kept their children far away when I finally did stagger out of the pool. I am trying to work on my stroke and breathing technique. I want to benefit from the full power of each stroke, use my core, arms and legs with a smooth synchronicity. I want my breathing to feel natural, calm, and relaxed. The last thing I would want is to be out in the middle of a pack of swimmers, in open water and start having the panic inducing drain of breathing difficulties. So, I know I need to practice breathing more than I actually need to practice my strokes.
    I was damned tired crawling out of the pool. My arms were tired enough that sweeping later that evening was almost difficult. And I Love that! I love to find workouts that really work me out. I have been coasting on my workouts for a while, but no more. No coasting, only powering forward. And with the new, self ass-kicking workouts, I have been sleeping like the dead for the first time in far too long. I am eager to get back into the water. I want to swim further, faster, stronger. And I know I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment