Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Cycling Workout

    Tonight's workout was most excellent. Finally, a beautiful sunny evening for cycling. I rode my motorcycle over my hill route to make sure I wasn't deluding myself on my distance. Pleased to find it's a 12+ mile circuit, all hills, so that makes a solid 6 miles of uphill. Kick-my-ass-and-leave-me-in-the-ditch-to-die Road is proving to be a great training route, abut I plan on adding a bit of mileage every time. Today, I added another mile for a total of 13 miles, this also added one more brutal hill I have named SlapMeImYourBitch. As soon as I got home, dripping sweat but feeling great, I decided to try kicking off my shoes and getting right onto the treadmill (don't tell coach). One lap and my calves were very unhappy, I stepped off, stretched for a few minutes, got back on and did an easy half mile at a slow jog. Running barefoot works my calves and quads differently, so I wan't to build a little slow, and not cripple myself with my zeal. I have noticed that barefoot running doesn't put any noticeable strain on my knees, which makes me deliriously happy. After a brief bout on the treadmill (sorry coach) I did an hour of legs and abs, doing my usual melange of squats, lifts and crunches. My back is still tight so I have been extra careful to stretch during and after all my workouts. Tonight was not exception, I did at least 30 minutes of stretching before allowing myself to collapse over a bowl of Venison and Black Bean Chili.
    I just want to crawl into bed, but realized my bike and motorcycle are still sitting outside in the gloaming. No rest for the wicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment