Monday, June 25, 2012

Kick-my-ass-and-leave-me-in-the-ditch-to-die Road

    Yes, along with writing about the random thoughts and lessons learned I will be posting my daily workouts. More for my own records than for any self-aggrandizement.
   Today I had planned on my first lap swim, followed by upper body and core. But I was thwarted at the swim center, apparently Mondays are chock-a-block full with the water aerobics class, leaving very few lanes available, and those were taken.
    Instead I chose to cycle. There is a road nearby named Wildcat Road, which I first took in an effort to avoid the long hills on what was becoming my "normal" ride. I totally outsmarted myself on this one though. Within the first quarter mile of what was looking like a gentle ride, I turned a 15mph curve and was faced by a long, steep uphill. My first thought was, "Fuck no." Then the perverse inner athlete smiled and said, "I'm your Huckleberry." I had thought that the other side of this long, brutal hill would be the gentle road I had hoped to traverse. No. There is not a flat stretch on this road. It is hill upon hill. Some so steep that in first gear it is all I can do to keep moving at all. Head down, death grip on the bars, standing in the stirrups, using every muscle in my body to keep the crankshaft moving and wheels rolling. I have renamed Wildcat Road, it is now "Kick-my-ass-and-leave-me-in-the-ditch-to-die Road," with hills I have named, "OhFuck," FuckMe," and "ImmaYourBitch." As I have added distance with each additional ride there are new hills, "FuckMeNoLube," "KillMeNow," and "JustBuryMeHere."  It is an epic ride.
    So, all that being said, today's workout: 75 minute cycling on Kick-my-ass-and-leave-me-in-the-ditch-to-die Road. Then home, and half an hour spent with my 7 year old neighbor Quinn, sharing a smoothie. Then half mile easy jog, barefoot, to warm my muscles for my leg workout. Legs: 3 sets each; Wide squat, one-legged squat, prison squat, split squat, leg raise, side leg raise, calf raise. I am still not ready for deep squats, making sure my knee is healed before I get all jiggy with it. Then onto the floor for abs; 320 various crunches. Finally 20 minutes of stretching legs and back.
    Dinner: 2 medium boiled eggs, 1 slice toasted ancient grains bread. Remember, I already had the super smoothie made from fresh garden greens, 100% cranberry juice, 100% black cherry juice, fresh strawberries, 1/2 cup nonfat yogurt, big scoop whey protein (and it was delicious).
    Onward through the Fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment