Monday, June 25, 2012

Coaching

    Yesterday was the first session with Coach Todd. He says he will try to not make me cry, but no promises. As it was, he gave me great information on proper running form, and how to minimize impact and fatigue, and increase efficiency. He does not like the phrase "foot strike" in regards to how your foot hits the ground when running, usually heel first if shod in traditional running gear. He is a barefoot runner and runs gracefully and lightly using the balls of his feet and his knees to absorb what little shock is created by proper running, and prefers the term "foot fall." It makes perfect sense, a simple concept that has been over complicated by ever more technical "advances" in gear. The human foot is made for running, made to land lightly, easily and without damaging the knees, hips and back. I admit, he preached, and I was an accolade. I don't know if my delicate tootsies are quite ready to start logging miles on asphalt, but I may start cycling to the nearby school and taking advantage of their fields to give myself, quite literally, a test run.
    Yes, I will likely do this under a shroud of secrecy. I know this is silly, but in my mind I am still the chubby kid struggling to make even one lap without feeling like I wanted to die.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment