Monday, February 4, 2013

Running

    I took the bulk of last week as my Rest and Recovery week. I did swim hard 2 days, but kept running to a bare minimum since my legs had lost much of their spring, choosing to walk instead. Saturday the sun was shining so I figured it was time to lace on the Merrells and see how the legs were feeling. I opted for an easy three miles on fairly level ground during my lunch break at academy. I wanted an easy run because I knew I would push myself on Sunday. I felt good, my breathing was easy, and my muscles had shed the fatigue that had plagued me all week. Yes, my calves were a little stiff and sore on Sunday, but that is the peril of doing the bulk of my training on a treadmill during the wet, dark, winter evenings. Treadmills are okay to keep the cardio on track, but they do not work the leg muscles in the same fashion as road or trail running. Sunday, the weather continued to be dry, and academy let out early so I had my gear in the truck waiting. I had already decided I would do Hill Repeats. My initial plan was to do Hill Sprints, but since my calves were a wee bit tight I opted for the Long Hill Repeats instead. I ran about a mile to warm up while seeking the right hill for my plan. Silverton is a great town for running; nice sidewalks, low traffic, plenty of greenery and scenery, and hills aplenty. There are two types of Long Hill Runs: Short, steep hills that take a minute or two to ascend at a strong race pace; and the long, easy grade that can take five to ten minutes. I chose a steep section that was two city blocks long as my challenge for the day. This was the Short, Steep Run. The objective: Run the hill at a steady, strong, race pace, jog down, and repeat. Hence the name "Hill Repeats." This hill was perfect, the last 20 feet or so were pushing me to the point of near failure, which is exactly what I wanted. I did 4 sets, thought about doing more, but did not want to over do it on my first weekend back on pavement in a while (I can be sensible, sometimes). As I was running back to the station I spied a long staircase climbing the side of a hill. How could I resist? 65 steps, 10 laps, alternating single quick steps, two steps at a time, and running up, my quads were burning pleasantly by the end. I will be adding this staircase whenever I run in Silverton, I want to be ready for the Firefighter Stairclimb in September.
    Today my legs are pleasantly sore. Not terribly so, but enough to let me know that I worked my legs well this weekend. I have to improve my running, it is definitely my weakest discipline, and the one I have to use the most caution with as well. I will take it slow and steady, adding a bit every week, until I will have confidence in my ability to run the half-marathon leg of my Long Course Tri in September. Half-Ironman, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment