Sunday, February 10, 2013

Half-Marathon

    Yesterday I power walked a half-marathon with my friend. I approached it as an excellent training experience, and a chance to understand just how long a half-marathon is. I admit, it was much more pleasant traversing it with a companion than it would be to do it alone. But come September I must be able to run a half, after swimming 1.2 miles, and cycling 50 miles. That will give a whole new meaning to fatigue, I think. But I know I will be up to the task. One piece of the puzzle at a time, I am filling in the border, soon I will be working on the center, to complete the whole picture. I know I must make haste slowly. As much as I want to rush my training, push myself too hard, reach goals now, not later. But I have to build my base carefully, avoiding injury and overuse. I don't want to stress my body to the point of causing damage. Walking a half-marathon was an essential step towards being able to run the same distance. It was an interesting test of muscles and joint. I think my joints take a harder pounding from walking than they do from running. Walking it is near to impossible to not strike the ground hard with the heel, sending that shock up from the rigid heel bone, through the tibia and straight to my arthritic knees. Running, on the other hand (or foot, as the case may be), I feel my forefoot flex as it is designed to do, gently absorbing the footfall, my knees are bent, further cushioning my entire body, and since my stride is so much quicker my foot is on the ground much less. Running, the foot and leg are like a spring, coiling and uncoiling, loading and unloading, transferring energy instead of driving it into the ground. But I still need to build my stamina. I can walk 13.5 miles at a strong, steady pace, but I am as yet unable to run such a distance without slowing to a walk. First you must crawl, then walk, before you can run. I will continue to build my base, one step at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment