Friday, February 1, 2013

Inflammation, Get Thee Behind Me!

    I am making a full frontal assault on inflammation. Over the last year I have slowly stopped taking the assortment of supplements that used to be de rigueur. Partially because of the expense, but largely due to my ridiculously delicate digestive system. But holy hell, I am an achy, whiny bitch lately. Oddly it is my elbows, shoulders, and hands that are causing me the most pain. Especially my elbows. I imagine this is from the hours spent in the pool, I think I may be developing tendinitis, or possibly bursitis from repetitive movement. Whatever the hell it is, it hurts! To this end, I am upping my diligence with diet and supplements in an attempt to get things under control without adding more anti-inflammatory drugs and nsaids. Curiously, as my joints, bones, and muscles seem more painful and sensitive, so is my digestive tract. I have been suffering from heartburn, indigestion, and cramps for over a week. Is there a correlation? An overall flare up of inflammation throughout my body? I do not know. I do know I will not let it slow me down or kick my ass.
    On the frontline of my battle I have upped my intake of vitamins C and D, will increase my consumption of tart cherry and turmeric, reintroduced fish oil for Omega 3, and am trying Feverfew as an anti-inflammatory and circulation booster. Tonight I will start taking Arnica before bed as well. This is just the beginning. I will go with this for a few weeks, decide if there seems to be any improvement, and then go back on MSM, and add CoQ-10. On the food front I will become more relentless in my gluten free eating.
    Add to all of this, an attempt to get more sleep. That will be the toughest, since I seem to be so short on time every day, but it is important for my health and well being, as well as for my training. Sleep should be factored into a workout schedule as firmly as running and swimming.

No comments:

Post a Comment