Sunday, July 1, 2012

I Am Eager

    This weekend I decided, seriously, that I would, without a doubt, complete a triathlon sprint this year. I have been dreaming it, testing my mettle, feeling out all the aspects. Now, this shit gets real. I just registered for a sprint in 28 days. Twenty Eight. Less than a month. Holy shit.
    But I knew it was coming. I have known I was nearly ready. My swims are strong, my cycling is getting dialed in, and I am running an easy mile. So, now I just have to push myself a little harder, practice speed as well as strength. I am not planning on setting the course afire with my prowess, I just want to break my cherry before I feel like a spinster. My first event will be to let me know where I need to improve. It will let me know how much harder I will have to train to be ready for an Olympic distance Tri. So, I have four weeks to make myself feel that my body will do me right. I want to workout harder. Push myself further. I don't know if I can be prepared enough to make myself feel at ease with my first go. But I will do everything in my power to make sure that the morning I step out into the public eye in speedo and condom-like swim cap, that I will be as ready as I can make myself in the time I have allowed. I will be fine.
    Knowing this was inevitable, today was the first day of my new and improved training schedule. I did a 20+ mile ride today, concentrating on keeping my pedal RPMs above 70rpm. I kept in higher gears and made sure my legs were moving at a good clip. Then this evening I ran an easy mile, followed with strength training and core conditioning. Tomorrow I will ride and do my leg workout.
    I feel a little flutter of butterflies in my stomach at the realization that I have taken that next step; actually spent money to register. I am committed now, no backing out. And I didn't even tell coach til after the fact. Yes, I have been told more than once that I am better at asking forgiveness than asking permission. But in my defense, coach did tell me, just a week ago, that he felt I was capable of running a tri sprint, "tomorrow, without much trouble." I want it to be hard. I don't want to skate through it easily. It is a challenge and I am rising to meet it. And it will spur me on to greater things. I am ready. I am eager.

No comments:

Post a Comment