Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Triathlon: The Day, Part One

    Where to begin? How can I describe the feeling of accomplishment that I felt crossing the finish line? I know few believe me when I say that I have been enamored with the idea of triathlons since seeing my first Ironman competition on TV. But for years, decades, a lifetime, I told myself that I would never be able to compete in a triathlon or any other similar race because, "I'm just not a runner." These self defeating words followed me all my life. I know I have written of them before. The reason I revisit this old song and dance is because of what such a phrase really means. By continually telling myself, "I am just not a runner," I was stating a truth, because I believed it to be so. We all, every one of us, have such self defeating things we tell ourselves. By telling ourselves such things they become our reality, because if we can't believe our own thoughts, then who can you believe. Therefore, it must be true. Yes, it is a convoluted loop of erroneous thinking, but perception becomes reality.
    Now, I say, "I am not just a runner, I am a Triathlete." I can say this honestly, and with proof behind the statement. I swam, cycled and ran, and crossed the finish line exhausted but triumphant. I had faith in myself, I believed I could do it and I did. I spoke my own truth, and it became reality.
    Race day started at 4:30am. Still dark, and too early. It was not easy to climb from my cozy bed to stumble out to face the day. It did not take long for Brain to prod me with the reminder that This Is The Big Day. My race day. My first Triathlon. Since we had packed all the gear the night before, there was little to do but feed the animals and climb into what would essentially be my Tri Suit. Wolfing down a bowl of granola with whey protein and almond milk, and with coffee in hand we headed out the door. It was an easy commute, barely an hour, and we were among the first contestants to arrive.
    Being early gave me my choice of a spot on the rack in the transition area. I selected well, and settled Joshua into his place. Coach couldn't come in to the transition area, it is contestant only, though I know he could have easily gotten an access pass through his connections, but I also know he wanted me to have the chance to prove to myself that I was capable of setting up alone. He is good about letting me do my own thing, trusting me to have learned his lessons, trusting me to trust myself.
      With Joshua resting patiently on the rack, and my minimal gear placed carefully within his footprint it was just a matter of waiting for the race to begin. Not one to waste an opportunity to teach, Coach walked me through each section. We started at the water's edge, checked the buoy placement, felt the water. Then we walked the route from the water landing up to the transition area. From there we found the bike mount and dismount area, saw how nicely placed Joshua was in relation to each. Then on to the run start, also nicely located in regards to my bike spot. As we walked and talked, my nerves settled a bit. A bit, not much. But Coach is a calming influence, he understands me, knows what I need, is encouraging without sounding patronizing. I know how lucky I am to have found him, how fortuitous to have built this friendship.
To be continued.....

No comments:

Post a Comment