Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Damn, I'm Excited

    Funny, it was one month ago today that I started this blog. Started my journey towards the long awaited realization of becoming a Triathlete. It seems longer. Maybe it is because it is a long cherished dream? maybe it is because I have always trained for something? So, with one month of sport specific training under my belt I am just a few days way from my very first Tri. Not even five weeks of bi-weekly swims. Barely a month of running on my non-swim days. Hell, I'm 12 weeks out from knee surgery. Yes, I am nervous about my preparedness. Yes, I want to train hard all week to smooth out as many defects as possible. Yes, I know that both nervousness and over-training are counterproductive. Coach has the utmost faith in me. And I do have faith in Body. It is Brain that is having a crisis of faith right now, but I am doing my best to quell such naysaying.
    I know in my heart that this is the stepping stone. The first true step onto this pathway, and so should be viewed as such. The first few steps are always a bit hesitant, fumbling, tentative. I cannot fault myself in that arena. I remind myself that the first few steps are the hardest, but I will hit my stride soon. I must remember to run my own race. Mine and no one else's. I cannot hold myself up to any other athlete at this point, despite my competitive nature that makes me want to be the best, fastest, fittest. I know in my heart that there will be plenty of people out there who will totally smoke me on the course, and I can't allow myself to feel in the least regretful about that. I am doing this for myself. The only competition here is to strive to be better than I was yesterday, last month, last year. In that competition I already win hands down. So, I must focus on my race, my pace, my dreams. This is my race, I will run it my way. But damn, I'm excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment