Wednesday, July 18, 2012

And So I Will Run

    I am a runner. I have decided this. I used to say, "I'm just not a runner," and use that as a seemingly valid excuse to not run. This last winter I thought, "Why? Why am I not?" It's not like running is a complicated activity requiring expensive, bulky equipment. It is Me, my two legs, feet, body working in harmony to move myself from point A to point B in a relatively timely manner. Nothing over-complicated. True, when I was heavier it did mean moving a lot more mass, putting additional stress on my joints. But I think I have the physique of a runner; I am tall, long legged and now reasonably slender. I have powerful muscles, stamina, strength and the resolve to use my body in every way I can. So Yes, I am a runner. I may not be a fast runner, and my stamina is definitely not up to marathon level, but I feel comfortable now knowing I can run 5K without too much duress. I did not say I was a great runner, or even at this point a good runner, but I am a capable runner and am willing to put in the miles in order to be a better runner. Six months ago my goal was merely to run a 5K by the end of the summer. Now, as I am wont to do, my goal has changed to the multi-disciplined Triathlon, of which a 5K run is merely the last leg. So I will meet my earlier goal, and then some.
    Each day that I train, be it cycling, swimming or running, I feel more confident with my abilities. Yes, I have a long way to go, but then doesn't everyone? Is there any one individual in the world that has truly reached their full potential, with no room for improvement? I don't think so. Even the elite of the elite still train hard and strive to improve their skills, even if it is a mere 1%. They know that it may be that 1% that makes the difference between Gold and Silver. Me? I have a long way to go before I am anywhere near where I wish I were now. But I do have a modicum of patience. Yes, only a modicum. But I know that great changes are not made over night. Advancement and improvement take time, effort, energy, perseverance, stubbornness, audacity, self denial, mind over matter, sacrifice, tenacity, and more than a little bit of sado-masochism.
    I have stepped onto a path that is leading me onward to adventure, accomplishment, achievement, satisfaction, self improvement. This is not a path to be trod lightly, slowly or cautiously. Indeed it is a path that begs to be run. I am a Runner, and so I will Run.

No comments:

Post a Comment