Thursday, November 1, 2012

The First Mile

    "The first mile is the toughest." You've heard it before, and very likely dismissed it as ridiculous. But it is truth, for me at least. I have noticed this in almost every run, whether training or racing. I am beginning to be disinclined to run 5Ks because it seems as if it takes 4K for me to hit my stride, and feel like I am moving and breathing easy. Seems odd, I know. I haven't had a lot of experience in straight up running races; two 5Ks, a 10K, and a 6 mile trail run. The 6+ mile obstacle run doesn't really count, although the first half mile or so was straight-up running, keyword "up" as this was a very steep course. Everything else has been triathlon, which puts the run into a different category. In both of the 5Ks I felt fatigued for easily the first half of the run, granted, I did not rest and eat quite as well beforehand as I should have. The 10K started oddly for me, as I was running late, and had a fun time sprinting from parking lot to starting line, and across the highway to catch up to the pack. I felt good throughout that race, hitting a bit of a fatigue point at about the 3K point, but then ran through it easily. The trail run was a bit different as well, since the bulk of the race was either hard uphill, or hard downhill. There was not a single level piece of trail on the whole route.
    I have not been able to run outdoors as much as I would like, life seems to get in the way. But I have had several good runs in the last few weeks. Last night I had an easy run in the wilds of Lake Oswego smiling at grim faced cyclists, and dodging bullish Mercedes that do not like giving way to puny runners. I ran decently easy through the entire run, although I did slow to walk a few paces several times. I am trying to be cognizant of my stride and pace, posture, and arm movement. I am feeling more natural as I run. Even so, it wasn't until I had been running for 25 minutes or so that I felt relaxed, muscles warm and breathing easy. I am working towards having the first mile be as easy as the ensuing miles, but not really sure exactly what I can do to make this happen. So I will keep running, eventually I will figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment